Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sterkfontein Yellow Festival

Default Sterkfontein Yellow Festival

Did anyone go to the Sterkfontein festival this past weekend? I'd like to hear some comments on the events, cos I was extremely disappointed! (Actually p1ssed off is more like it) But the details will be left to the letter I’ll be writing to PJ and co.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayfly View Post
    (Actually p1ssed off is more like it) But the details will be left to the letter I’ll be writing to PJ and co.

Now you have to tell allllll...........
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Now you have to tell allllll...........
    I'll pm you the story, don't want to flame the guide on this site. But I won't be going to any Bells/TCFF festivals anymore!

I'd rather spend the money on a Sage 0wt and pester you, till you take me to stream x!!

I'll pm you the story, don't want to flame the guide on this site. But I won't be going to any Bells/TCFF festivals anymore!

I'd rather spend the money on a Sage 0wt and pester you, till you take me to stream x!!
    Mayfly, please PM me the whole caboodle as well. I will be going Sterkies way fairly soon and do not want to have the same misfortune that seems to have befallen you
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Me too please.

......and me , please?!

No PAIN No Gain

Hey there,

I was there from Friday through Sunday. Apart from Saturday being a day from windy hell...friday and sunday were great...caught fish on all three days.
    Umm the braai on Friday night was not bad.....prices at the bar scared the hell out of me....but after a few Captains...did not care. The spit braai on Saturday was not good....that meat seemed to come off of a homeland sheep......lotsa bones and gristle and just plain bland. The arrangments around the mornings guide and boat assignments were a bit hectic and besides I am a big boy and a cup of coffee and a rusk just dont fill me. I could have done with two or three boat packs as well......but other than that it was not bad. We stayed in the chalets and it is a pity that they have taken such a beating but then again from gate gaurd to resort manager....you do the sums.....

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Mayfly, please PM me the whole caboodle as well. I will be going Sterkies way fairly soon and do not want to have the same misfortune that seems to have befallen you

Hi Mayfly, please PM me aswell. I wanted to go but had to study.

Hi Mayfly,

Please PM me with your story, if not too much hassle.

Armand

Mayfly,

Out of interest, what did you pay for the festival ? What kind of food, accom etc. I think the Western Cape Bells Festival is very good value for money ! You get two breakfasts (cereal, fruit and fried), two very good dinners and one packed lunch for the river. You get good accomodation at Merwida Lodge or in Rawsonville at B&B's. You also get a days guiding and can then fish unguided on the following day and everyone gets a prize of some sort (from a bottle of whisky to vests/packs/rods/reels etc). All this for R680, very good value for money !

As far as guides go, they can't catch you fish. They should however be able to find you the fish and give you the correct flies and techniques to solicit a take from the fish - after that if you hook it and land it, it's a bonus One year when I was guided on the Bells, I had a guy who hadn't fished the streams for 2 years ! A bit annoying but I still managed to catch a lot of fish (with little help from him) and enjoyed myself. Stillwaters are a lot harder to guide on. Small stillwaters are usually heavily fished which means the fish are wise to a lot of the usual techniques. Large stillwaters like Sterkies must be quite daunting to guide on unless you know the place backwards.

Anyway, I am interested in the Sterkies festival as I have considered flying up and attending it.

Thanks,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast