Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Madam X tying sequence

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    That one I normally use is a ***** to tie. Quite time consuming, so I'm looking for simpler patterns. Its also a pretty big hopper, that I normally use on the stillwaters
    It sure looks like it.Just thought I'd push my luck u know.

G

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Now how would u fish it?Alone or with a nymph suspended ie dry 'n dropper?
    No Gerrit, I would not fish a nymph off of it. I fish it as a single fly, upstream. It really is a killer pattern (like most hoppers), and fishing it when the fish are skittish and presentation can be a b!tch, the hopper really comes into it's own.

Also what is the heaviest nymph ito size u can suspend without the lot going down?
    That would probably depend on the size of the fly you tie, and the foam you use I assume.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    No Gerrit, I would not fish a nymph off of it. I fish it as a single fly, upstream. It really is a killer pattern (like most hoppers), and fishing it when the fish are skittish and presentation can be a b!tch, the hopper really comes into it's own.

That would probably depend on the size of the fly you tie, and the foam you use I assume.
    Thanx again Mario,

Ja now when I fished Highland Run recently I also fished a hopper pattern on its own.Proofed to be the fly(dry) of the weekend.

G

Ps.I'll tie some and post.Very basic I must add.PT for wing & Legs and a white post for viz.I'm out of hooks so just bare with me ok.

Thanx again Mario,

Ja now when I fished Highland Run recently I also fished a hopper pattern on its own.Proofed to be the fly(dry) of the weekend.

G

Ps.I'll tie some and post.Very basic I must add.PT for wing & Legs and a white post for viz.I'm out of hooks so just bare with me ok.
    Hoppers are underrated and underfished!! SO many of my clients had a HUGE change of view after a subtle suggestion at flicking a hopper to non-rising fish, and having it smacked like a ***** ******'s bottom
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks for the sequence Mario, I've never tied one, but have fished some that I bummed from a mate to good effect. In olive colours they suggest a cicada. My mate had an orange sighter tied on top- made following the fly in turbulent water quite easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    Thanks for the sequence Mario, I've never tied one, but have fished some that I bummed from a mate to good effect. In olive colours they suggest a cicada. My mate had an orange sighter tied on top- made following the fly in turbulent water quite easy.
    Ja, adding a bit of high-vis Chenille or Polyprop at the same time as tying in the rubber legs (above the head) makes for a good indicator-type thing, but hell, this thing is so visible already
    Mario Geldenhuys

Default hopper hooks etc...

What hooks are people using to tie hoppers? Grip make a special hook that has 2xl length shank and allows a more realistic length body to be tied.

Also what colours are used as underbodies? I have always used orange and yellow. But on recent fishing outing I have noticed charcoal brown coloured hoppers with bright red underwings. Anyone else seen this?
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    What hooks are people using to tie hoppers? Grip make a special hook that has 2xl length shank and allows a more realistic length body to be tied.
    I use Terrestrial hooks only, TMC 200R or the like.

Also what colours are used as underbodies? I have always used orange and yellow. But on recent fishing outing I have noticed charcoal brown coloured hoppers with bright red underwings. Anyone else seen this?
    That depends on the hoppers in your area. The small hoppers in our area range from light yellow, red, tan, brown and gray.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Hi,

Try the following,

TMC 5212 or TMC 2302

Grip 11201

G

Wiets Banned User

Thanks Mario!
    Nice looking fly that is - I thought it would win the vote.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast