Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Madam X tying sequence

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Teehee !!

Does anyone else have any nice hopper patterns they could add ?
    I was tempted to be selfish about this little video at least untill the March 2008 Freshwater Fly Swap was over, but that would be just selfish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OugrUbjqpcQ

I first saw this imitation in th legendary TCFF December/January 2005/2006 issue (issue 135). Then when I looked for another hopper imitation that I once saw on YouTube, I realized that it was quite near to the same pattern. Enjoy!

Regards,
    PTN

I use the MSA Hopper on our streams and it works well. You can fish it alone or in tandem with a nymph
    Last edited by cptfly; 18-02-08 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Hoppers are underrated and underfished!!
    Couldn't agree more. Not just hoppers, but terrestrials in general are underrated by stream fishermen.

Like John, I use the MSA Hopper which i think immitates a hopper, dobsonfly, or large caddis all at the same time. Tied properly it can hold up heavy flies easily and was actually designed with that purpose in mind. It does look very much like a stimulator but the difference is in the density of the hackle fibres to create a Maximum Surface Area (hence MSA) to enable it to hold up heavy nymphs.

Here's a step by step for it.

I use the grip or tiemco equivalent hooks of the mustad one used in the step by step (dunno the codes).
    Last edited by gkieser; 18-02-08 at 06:16 PM.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

p.s - Thanks Mario. Lekker to have another SBS on the forum!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Tied this up tonight. Sorry guys my photography ain't that good
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    Tied this up tonight. Sorry guys my photography ain't that good
    Well done Morné.From up here it looks real good.Thanx for sharing.

G

looks very good. i will do some beetles and we can see how the two work.
    thanks to you guys for the ideas...you know who you are
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Nice hopper Morne - that will work great.

Google a pattern called the Sandwich Fly - some good techniques than can be carried over to other patterns.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Not just hoppers, but terrestrials in general are underrated by stream fishermen.
    Agreed 100%. I seldom tie and fish beetles, but have had great success on some ant patterns I have tied up. Basically black thread and varnish and thin, bent broom-stick legs - polyprop wing for the "floating" version.

Will tie one and post pic when I have some time.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks guys. These latest posts with flies have realy got me going again to tie new flies. That was my first hopper I tried and now have a growing list to do again thanks to you guys.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast