Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polokwane/Pietersburg

Default Polokwane/Pietersburg

Morning

I am off to Pietersburg for some business next week and I will have an hour or 4 to explore a little. Any suffestions/venues that anybody has fished before?

Hi Chris

There ia a huge dam at U. of the North which you can fish with a day ticket. However it's more papgooing. If you go on that same road (I think it's the R71) east for about 50 k's (if you've the time) you reach the stunning Haenertsburg area. I havn't fished there for years, but the Broederstoom river and Dap Naude (better for trout) and Ebenezer (seem to remember more bass that trout) dams used to be controlled by the Haenertsburg Trout Association. Brown trout used to breed in some of the streams arould Magoebaskloof. Maybe someone can update you on access to the fishing here, but it is (or was when I last went!) absolutely beautiful.

there's an abundance of venues in and around haenertsburg. i grew up there in the area.

give the haenertsburg trout ass. at the elms a call on 015 276 4972... if i remember correctly you will have to obtain a permit first.

Thanks for the info, How far is Haenertsberg from Pietersburg?

Quote Originally Posted by vanderw View Post
    Thanks for the info, How far is Haenertsberg from Pietersburg?
    have a look at Chris' post ... about 50km or so .. East... Haernertsberg is truly a GREAT venue .. but you will need to contact a local to get access, best spots, etc..
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

just be carefull for the first 35 - 40km...

a lot of informal settlements on the route. cattle, goats etc... always on the roads. otherwise, after that when you head into the mountains the scenery becomes beautiful...

i haven't been on that road for quite a while, but i know the last time i went they were busy redoing it, and for most of the trip, until you reach the mountains, it's 2 lanes on each side... helps with the taxi's...

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by vanderw View Post
    Morning

I am off to Pietersburg for some business next week and I will have an hour or 4 to explore a little. Any suffestions/venues that anybody has fished before?
    Hope its not gonna be over easter as the roads in that area become a bit of a no-go zone.

Sections of the letaba and little letaba rivers also fish very well
    Check your knots!

Luckily it won't be over that time. It will be during the week so hopefully I will miss the big migration. I have done it once before and it was a nightmare. Thanks for the info though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast