Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Little Brak River

Default Little Brak River

Guys

I am taking the family to the Riverside Camp site in Little Brak for the Easter weekend. Any comment on the fishing there?

Check with Deewy
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

I've read his (and Anton's) earlier posts on the Garden Route but was hoping for some updated info. Nice to have it on open forum for the benefit of all. Howz about it Deewy?

I know the campsite is 6km upriver. Is that above or below the weir? I am primarily interested in the leerie fishing.

How far to the nearest Yellowfish river?

Some comments from the SCFF will be appreciated

Neil

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Are there any trout streams in the area besides the Keurbooms and the Kwai rivers?

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Are there any trout streams in the area besides the Keurbooms and the Kwai rivers?
    Doubt it, and both are so heavily stocked anyway.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Have you been up the Kwai, Mario?

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Have you been up the Kwai, Mario?
    Yes, quite a long way. This was about 5 years ago though, and we saw some huge browns along the way. No hookups I'm afraid. Apparently a few years back there were huge floods, and the river was seriously restocked by Venneman after that.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Wink Kleinbrak

Neil,
    You can try the Grootbrak, Swartvlei & Goukamma estuaries too. Keurbooms near Plett, but that will be some 120 km away. I would say Swartvlei would be worth an outing - some 55 km. Phone for details. See also the SCFF website.

PS: Tried the Sage :0wt - see catch reports for details.
    Cheers.
    Niel Malan

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    I've read his (and Anton's) earlier posts on the
    Garden Route but was hoping for some updated info. Nice to have it on open forum for the benefit of all. Howz about it Deewy?

I know the campsite is 6km upriver. Is that above or below the weir? I am primarily interested in the leerie fishing.

How far to the nearest Yellowfish river?

Some comments from the SCFF will be appreciated

Neil

Can't make out if this is river of dam, 90% it's river, as there are not really dams that big there - or at least when we were there last.

Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Malan View Post
    Neil,
    You can try the Grootbrak, Swartvlei & Goukamma estuaries too. Keurbooms near Plett, but that will be some 120 km away. I would say Swartvlei would be worth an outing - some 55 km. Phone for details. See also the SCFF website.

PS: Tried the Sage :0wt - see catch reports for details.
    Cheers.
    Niel Malan
    I know the Keurbooms and Bitou rivers well but I do not intend driving that far from the campsite (1 car, SWAMBO and kids = not a clever move politically to leave them stranded whilst I fish). I have a 3.7m rubber duck plus 15hp motor and I intend taking this along. The Little brak and its tributary are thus the prime target as I can launch at the campsite and navigate up or down river. I am therefore keen on getting some first hand feedback on this river system.

After Easter weekend I might move to Stilbaai, Knysna or Witsand depending on the weather and the consensus I can achieve from the family.

Hope you enjoyed the 0wt Niel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast