Thread: Catching sole on fly common?

Default Catching sole on fly common?

Hello to the forum.
    On a recent visit to the Port Alfred erea,I caught two sole while fishing for Mullet.I caught the first one in mid-morning and the second one in the afternoon.Do sole readily take flies?

Hi Halfstone,

A buddy of mine picked up a big sole at Struisbaai on a clouser in the surf. It had a whole bloodworm in its stomach. I don't know much about their feeding habits, but taking its shape, I'm sure it should be some sort of ambush predator/bottom sucker krokenosterfant gedoente.

Im also not sure if this was a West coast or East coast sole, being at the Southern most tip of Africa the fish was probably a bit confused himself.

Cheers,

Philip

Hi Phillip
    It must have been quite a big sole to take a Clouser.I caught both sole in 4-6 foot of water on a river with a home-made fly ( two 3mm & three 2.5mm beads stacked behind each other with a pearl-crystal flash tail).

I've caught 2 sole in the transkei on small crazy charlies in the waves. I think they readily take a fly fished along the bottom. Awesome fish!

A guy here told me he catches flounder regularly on fly. He stalks them in the shallows in estuaries. The fly he uses is basically a small clouser but istead of bucktail he uses red marabou. I imagine that this would workfor sole too.

Hi Kevin, I've caught quite a few flounder on fly in UK (Chichester harbour), also in various estuaries in Port Phillip Bay, Melbs. Non-fly fishers used to use a small Mepps type spoon with a long baithook with a piece of ragworm attached as well (precursor to dropshot??!!...) Crazy Charlies and small baitfish imitations work well. In Oz I often caught them incidentally when targetting flathead and the like

While living in the Albany area we had some hilarious nights .. wading around in the surf (near rocks) .. wielding "soling forks" ... in a brandy-induced haze!! ... often resulted in impaled feet!!

(but the few sole we got really tasted GOOD!!!)
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Were they the soles on your impaled shoes (sole thermidor??) or the fish ones that tasted so good?

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Were they the soles on your impaled shoes (sole thermidor??) or the fish ones that tasted so good?
    HAHAHAHAHA 7 out of 10 (but only cos it is a Monday!)
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

I have also caught Sole in Durban Bay on a Maxis Dogs Breakfast.

Cheers
    Born to fish, forced to work