Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Air Time

seeing this is under hunting trout, sorry for the topic change. what connection do you guys use for leader to tippet. why i'm asking...every fish that was broken off was on my loop to loop conection. i'm fishing 5X leader and 6X tippet. the break off was on the tippet side. look i also crap myself when the fish hits so that is part of the problem. a better connection perhaps?
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

How many times do you loop it?

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    seeing this is under hunting trout, sorry for the topic change. what connection do you guys use for leader to tippet. why i'm asking...every fish that was broken off was on my loop to loop conection. i'm fishing 5X leader and 6X tippet. the break off was on the tippet side. look i also crap myself when the fish hits so that is part of the problem. a better connection perhaps?
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    How many times do you loop it?
    on the 6x tippet, only once, it does'nt unravel...it just breaks.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

Ya thats why it is breaking. Loop it through twice and make sure the knot sets right. It shouldnt break then

That how i connect my leader to tippet and very seldom does it snap!

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    on the 6x tippet, only once, it does'nt unravel...it just breaks.
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Roland, how hard do you strike at the take.... it might be that you just striking to hard as well

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    Roland, how hard do you strike at the take.... it might be that you just striking to hard as well
    thanks guys for the info. Matt i will loop twice next time and yes john the strike. you know whats funny... your fly catches one blade of grass or a submerged stick and sits vas. the talk lately is to wait a sec or two before you strike, why does'nt the hook set like that when they rush up to the fly.
    i must admit that sometimes i get a fright as the fish takes and probably am striking hard. how do you guys overcome this

ok a little too much info here...but i almost need a gum guard....no jokes. i bite my teeth so much, as i concentrate...i even go so dry in my mouth because i forget to drink water as i'm willing these mothers to come up. i'm scaring myself lately. oh how the bug bites

Roland it can also be your rod, if you have fast action rod you might find that its no so forgiving when striking. I tend to strike with the tip of the rod and lifting my arm upwards in one movement but you get the odd one where you get a "groot skrik" and you strike and give the fish air miles

Hey Roland, what weight rod do you fish with? What leader setup do you use? How often do you replace your tippet... please dont say 'only when it breaks'!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    Roland it can also be your rod, if you have fast action rod you might find that its no so forgiving when striking. I tend to strike with the tip of the rod and lifting my arm upwards in one movement but you get the odd one where you get a "groot skrik" and you strike and give the fish air miles
    i'm fishing a daiwa 3wt, 8 foot 6. now that you mention it, i am giving a bit of a "pluck" rather than a lift the arm and create tension kind of movement. thanks guys it's all stored in the bank. i think it's also confidence....cast into a lie and know the fish is going to respond....rather than cast into the lie and hope a fish is going to respond.
    thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast