Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: MoonshineMayfly - Step by Step

Oh thanks excellent, I must try the different breaking strains, I did try out some lighter stuff early last year but to be quite honest it was with a gathering of hooligans and I don't think my fishing senses of feel/touch were up to their sober fighting weight!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Hi guys, I was lucky enough to have a great long weekend, catching around 40 trout, 20 yellows and about 5 muddies all in all at various places on Sunday and Monday. All my yellows and muddies were in about a 4 hour spell yesterday on the Vaal. Just about all the fish were taken on a little simple sparkly olive green caddis hatching pupa I tie.. Not saying drab flies would not work, it's just I had no reason to change, except when I got bored and got a few yellows on dry MCS caddis (half inch long body, rear half olive green, forward half natural hare's ear. wild beirg deer hair ties 2.5 times body length pretty sparse. If you wish, two tan feelers for'ard, also about 2.5 times body length. Included were a couple of trout at venue 'X' of at leasst 4kg, a yellow of probably about 3.5kg and a muddie hooked in the mouth that gave me the longest of all run-arounds of about 3kg. I was experimenting with 4.2kg Stroft - which is roughly the diameter of 'normal' 6lb mono (I havn't got the diameter with me offhand but guess it's on their site) - wonderful stuff, only comment was it did get a bit frayed with the trouts' teeth, and had to change the last few inches after every few fish or so but mustn't grumble...
    Before you guys say what an arrogant a'hole, to bring myself down to reality I was thoroughly spooked trying to get SS yellows on the Seekoeispruit on Saturday - didn't see any fish at all, and no rises. Maybe the trout from the Crocodile and my little fish all went off to some other stream for a party on the Saturday!
    Chris have you been fishing in the hatchery again?...

Oh thanks excellent, I must try the different breaking strains, I did try out some lighter stuff early last year but to be quite honest it was with a gathering of hooligans and I don't think my fishing senses of feel/touch were up to their sober fighting weight!
    I bought 100m each of their 2.2lb, 4lb and 8lb ... like it!!! .. and their service is excellent as well as having reasonable postage rates.

I am still going to experiment with using BRAID as a leader for nymphing ... am waiting for some 15lb braid to arrive from the USA ... same diameter as 4lb mono ... could work well with zero stretch and small diam! (will maybe try it at VO1)
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Chris have you been fishing in the hatchery again?...
    Probably the Saloon 2000 deep freeze. Jeez, there was an ugly crew there yesterday pm (myslf included) - I wonder where they all hang out when the thunder and lightning disappears....

Probably the Saloon 2000 deep freeze. Jeez, there was an ugly crew there yesterday pm (myslf included) - I wonder where they all hang out when the thunder and lightning disappears....
    Under the tow-trucks in that nasty scrap yard with all the other corpses of former fly fishermen/women and their pets.

I wondered why the waitron gave me all the fish from the freezer, except she said she's give me steelhead under one of the two trucks in the scrap yard... But we digress from the main thread. Maybe I should name my little sparkly hatching caddis pupa the SSS ('Saloon Scrapyard Special'..)

I wondered why the waitron gave me all the fish from the freezer, except she said she's give me steelhead under one of the two trucks in the scrap yard... But we digress from the main thread. Maybe I should name my little sparkly hatching caddis pupa the SSS ('Saloon Scrapyard Special'..)
    Sounds like a great fly

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4