Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Atomic Worm - Tying sequence

Default Atomic Worm - Tying sequence

Atomic Worm

A Good Yellowfish and Trout taker when tied in different colours.

This is not the initial recipe, which uses red V-Rib. I prefer using clear V-Rib and red flashabou. I think the clear V-rib gives the fly a more translucent effect. Other successful colours are chartreuse, light olive and black.

Hook - #10-#16 Scud (2x heavy)
    Thread – Red 6/0
    Weight – Tungsten bead to match hook
    Body – Red flashabou and V-Rib

Step 1
    Place bead on hook, tie on thread, and wrap to the bend of the hook and back to the bead.

Step 2
    Tie in V-Rib and flashabou and wrap thread back to bead.

Step 3
    Wrap flashabou to the bead in touching turns to the bead and secure.

Step 4
    Wrap V-rib forward to bead, secure and tie off. Note how the Flashabou and Clear V-rib give the fly a lot more depth and texture compared to using coloured V-Rib.

"So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

i'm gonna come out of my virgin state and open my box to that worm....
    looks very good. thanks G
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Grant nice fly and nice of you to take the time to do this. I just feel that you think have tried to hide the thread on the collar behind the bead. It would make for a better looking fly. Otherwise well ribed.
    Last edited by FIGJAM; 11-03-08 at 10:39 PM.
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

I see you also do not use peacock herl for the thorax, is there a reason why you deviate from the original?

To be honest, I didn't realise the original had a peacock collar. I have never seen that before.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

No the original was tied with tough chemille
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Grant nice fly and nice of you to take the time to do this. I just feel that you think have tried to hide the thread on the collar behind the bead. It would make for a better looking fly. Otherwise well ribed.
    better looking to the fish,or visually to us? i've just tied 3 of these earlier....and i'm happy visually. do you think they gonna notice? real question here.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

I think to an extent they won't notice Rols. Yeah the thread on mine in the pic could be a little more subtle for visual satisfaction but this much shouldn't affect the effectiveness of the fly.

I like the visual effect of the clear v-rib...nice fly.

Thanks for posting it Grant ,it saved me from going back and forth to the UK site

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast