Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MoonshineMayfly - Step by Step

Default MoonshineMayfly - Step by Step

Okay lets see if I can get the Vaalies into some step by steps. Come on guys, you can't all be so secretive of your killer patterns?

Moonshine Mayfly

This is a fly that I developed just before last year's B section nationals and it really did a good job for myself and some of my team mates too. I guess it's a generic attractor mayfly immitation. My inspiration for this fly came from the Sweetie and i guess it is not too dissimilar from that fly, but if a Green Tailed Kate Mclaren and a Zulu can have different names then I reckon this can be named differently too.

I fish it anywhere on a 3 fly Short Line nymphing rig but find it is most successful trailing your control fly, regardless of where that is situated. It is a cracker of a fly especially when fished in skinny water.

Hook - #12-16 Standard Shank heavy gauge nymph hook (eg grip 12003)
    Thread – Black 12/0
    Weight – 0.015 lead wire
    Tail – Black Hackle fibres
    Abdomen – Extruded thick pearl saltwater flash
    Thorax – Black UV Dubbing (I have used Hends UV Blend - superb stuff)
    Bead – Tungsten, size to match hook size

Step 1
    De-barb hook, place bead on hook, place in vice and wrap thread on:

Step 2
    Wrap lead under the thorax section of the fly. On the tail end, turn the lead parallel to the shank tie down a few millimetres. This will help create nice taper to the fly.

Step 3
    Tie in tail at the end of the lead and wrap back to the bend of the shank. IF you pull harder on the last wrap the hackle fibres should splay out quite nicely.

Step 4
    Now prepare the flash. Use a thick saltwater flash like in the picture below:

Pull off a piece and hold an end in each hand. Stretch the the flash slowly so that it curls up into a tube. You will notice that it changes from the pearl colour to an electric blue colour as it is stretched (i couldn't get the colour to come out perfectly in the pictures, but try it and you will see what i mean):

Step 6
    Tie the extruded flash in at the bead and wrap back to the tail to keep an even tapered body.

Step 7
    Wrap the flash around the shank all the way to the bead.

Step 8
    Dub the thorax in whichever way you like. I have used a dubbing loop in this one with nice long fibres sticking out.

Alternative colours that we have found to be successful are Kevin's Deadly Hellfly (rusty orange flash but the rest is the same) and My Nuclear mayfly, tied with green flash instead of the blue. Both caught fish on a recent trip to the orange river but have not been tested on the Vaal yet.

So Who's next for a step by step???

"So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Grant...is Brett Kieser family of yours?

Mike

Thanks Grant

Will tie some of those and try them.

Look I'm not always good with names but doesn't it look similar to a flashgun as well?

Nice fly Grant, seems easy enough to pump out a few dozen

I'll give it a bash this weekend, will let you know how goes!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

That is a great pattern, I like it with a holographic head, but what you have tied is quite special...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

[QUOTE=gkieser;66207]Okay lets see if I can get the Vaalies into some step by steps.

Maybe some of us don't want to 'Come Dancing'??

For me it's simple, I possess neither the camera nor the technical know-how to put such wonderful stuff on the site, but I'm always willing to share my recipes!
    Next time we meet up if it's land-based you must show us how you do the photography? Maybe at the next Stithians bash - dates TBA? I'll stand you a mineral water or Diet Coke

Nice fly.....will give it a go!

Thanks Grant! Another great step by step.

Smile Nice fly Grant

Nice fly Grant - suggest you also post it on the the Fly Talk site. Will ty up some.
    Niel

[QUOTE=chris williams;66225]
    Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Okay lets see if I can get the Vaalies into some step by steps.

Maybe some of us don't want to 'Come Dancing'??

For me it's simple, I possess neither the camera nor the technical know-how to put such wonderful stuff on the site, but I'm always willing to share my recipes!
    Next time we meet up if it's land-based you must show us how you do the photography? Maybe at the next Stithians bash - dates TBA? I'll stand you a mineral water or Diet Coke
    Chris - you tie the flies. I'll bring the camera and do the rest.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast