Thread: Crocodile River

Default Crocodile River

I was fishing in Dullstroom yesterday and we were trying the crocodile river stretch that is maintained by the Muvhungu Fly Fishing shop. It is about 10km to the north of town. We started at about 08:30 and did the full stretch which is about 2km without even seeing any fish. The gentleman at the shop told us that the fish are very shy and wild but could it be possible that they dissapeared even before I could get a glimpse in? I tried to be as stealthy as possible.

Please help!!

Quote Originally Posted by vanderw View Post
    I was fishing in Dullstroom yesterday and we were trying the crocodile river stretch that is maintained by the Muvhungu Fly Fishing shop. It is about 10km to the north of town. We started at about 08:30 and did the full stretch which is about 2km without even seeing any fish. The gentleman at the shop told us that the fish are very shy and wild but could it be possible that they dissapeared even before I could get a glimpse in? I tried to be as stealthy as possible.

Please help!!
    What was the water clarity and flow like? Wild would also suggest no stocking for at least a 5 year period.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

The day was very clear as was the water. Could see lots of detail even in the big pools. I am not sure what the flow is normally like with this being my first time but I would say that it wasn't very strong. I could easily cross the river if I had too.

Quote Originally Posted by vanderw View Post
    The day was very clear as was the water. Could see lots of detail even in the big pools. I am not sure what the flow is normally like with this being my first time but I would say that it wasn't very strong. I could easily cross the river if I had too.
    I should probably have been more specific, sorry. When I asked for flow, I also meant what type of river it was. Slow pastoral water, smooth bottom or riffles, glides, pools etc?

The make-up of the river would influence you approach tremendously wrt where you'd look for fish and which techniques you'd use to try and hook them. Do you have any pics perhaps?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Those areas have suffered with poaching in the last few years! It could well be all poached out! But dont be too stressed, it is a difficult river, and the weather didn't really play with on Sunday!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I thought the wheather was ok actually. Little cloudy here and there. Dizzy, Why would you say that the wheather wasn't too good. This was only my secong time on any river so any input will be great.

The river really had a bit of everything. From deep pools to some quick shallow waters. Some gravel beds here and there but not too many rocks. The river had many bends and was almost crossing itself due to erosion I would suppose. Sorry if this doesn't help but I am not too sure how else to describe it.