Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yellow venues like Elgro?

Default Yellow venues like Elgro?

Hi, I'm new to this forum but it has only taken me about 5 seconds to realise I've been registered on the wrong site !!

Was planning to spend this weekend at Elgro but they're having a working group there and even though you can get accomodation, they won't allow anyone else to fish for the weekend.

Was wondering if there were any other venues in and around that area that could accommodate me and my buddy?

Hi Mayfly,

I am no expert on the vaal and the only venue I know of that's sort of close to Elgro is Raaswater. I've only ever fished Elgro and Raaswater once each and preferred Elgro, but I did get my one and only LM yellow at Raaswater. The rapids we fished were a lot faster than Elgro's.

The accomodation looks very lekker too.

You should find contact info if you google it.

Cheers
    Grant

p.s - welcome to the site, even if it is the wrong one. (Which is the right one?)
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

There are so many venues along the Vaal that you could to. There is Geelvis Paradys, Silver Strome, Ben Joh (0568181110), Otter Haunt, etc. You can also have a look at http://http://www.parys.info/accom.htm

You'll have to do a google on the venues that I never put number in for.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Check the flow and weather before you go, there have been reports of 40cm/s, which in my opinion is too dangerous to fish.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Especially at raaswater cos the whole river seems to narrow and go through the one set of rapids, unless I missed another channel.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

p.s - welcome to the site, even if it is the wrong one. (Which is the right one?) - still have to figure out the quoting function!

GKieser,

Sorry, what I meant was that I've been registered on another site's forum for about 3 years and just severed all ties after witnessing a newbie being ripped for asking too many dumb questions. So it only took me about 5 seconds after seeing this forum, to realise I should have been on this site from the start.

Hello, Hello... welcome, your going to fit in just fine.

Check out this link http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/rtmain.aspx

If the flow is bellow 25tons, (cubic meters per second) it is fishable, if not give it a skip.

Here are a 4 decent spots, check them out:
    Smilin Thru
    Otters Haunts
    Hadida Creak
    Eagle Nest
    To paint lines on a silver stretch of stream, is to be humbled by nature and to be closer to thy maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayfly View Post
    Sorry, what I meant was that I've been registered on another site's forum for about 3 years and just severed all ties after witnessing a newbie being ripped for asking too many dumb questions. So it only took me about 5 seconds after seeing this forum, to realise I should have been on this site from the start.
    I know excactly how you see it.

Arendsnes - Neels (Caretaker) 0731665545
    Woelwaters - Johan / Marietjie 0169877932 0826892852
    Eastco - Caretaker 0833792872
    Smilin Thru - 056 816 2200
    Yellowfish Paradise - 016 987 7199 0823916784

Eastco has really good water, when you get there cross the small stream in front of the island, go over the island (a little overgrown but hang in there, my advice rather rig your rod on the other side of the island) once over the island to the left the river splits into 3 sections, all with good fishing, also nice because the water there can accommodate many "users" (sorry I'm in I.T.) / fishers, so even though it might get really busy you can still fish basically on your own. If you are there early (before they get spooked by the traffic) you will see a big willow tree overhanging the water, on the edge where 2 sections come together you can't miss it it's massive. I have yet to pass that tree without taking a yellow from under it....

Thanks for all the info guys. Otters was next on my list. Haven't been there in ages.

I'm busy showing a newbie friend of mine the ropes and want to try and avoid the "Rush Hour", like Aarends this past Sunday.

Dyno, the DWAF site is a lifesaver. I've been monitoring the flows everyday this week and if the rain stops by Friday it should stay under 30 for Sunday. But it also depends on which section of water you're on. I've been on the Vaal when it was 20 and got washed down stream while crossing a narrow channel! School fees!

Deon, Eastco sounds pretty cool too. Will give them a call later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast