Thread: Mutant zak/Baby bugger

Default Mutant zak/Baby bugger

Tying instructions for Mutant Zak/Baby Bugger

From one of last years fly swaps...... Very good fly for stillwaters as well as rivers. Soft hackle gives lots of inherent movement!

Materials
    • Size 10 or 12 nymph wet fly hook. I use a grip 12003
    • 3mm brass or tungsten bead
    • Purple kreinik metallics medium (#16) braid code 026 for tail and body flash.
    • Olive or brown partridge feathers for hackle stripped on one side.
    • Black tying thread
    • Peacock herl
    • Black marabou

Tying instructions:

1. De-barb hook and slide on 3mm brass bead.

2. Start thread and wind back to above where the barb used to be. Tie in tail of marabou pinched to length required(Do not trim the marabou with scissors, it looks very unnatural). The above fly has a rather large tail, the length of the tail can be adjusted (ie can be pinched shorter) on the water according to personal preference. Then tie in two strands of purple flash removed from the braid(not visible here) on each side of the tail. Then tie in two more long single strands removed from the kreinik braid, and two peacock herls as in the picture.

3. Twist the peacock herl and the braid together to form a rope and wind forward, tie the rope off with 3 turns. DO NOT TRIM THE TAG END! Then tie in the prepared partridge hackle with the bend of the feather facing away from the shank. Then form a thorax with the tag end of the peaock herl and braid rope. Tie off behind the bead and trim. Then wind the hackle forward for 2 or 3 turns. Tie off, trim tag end and whip finish the fly. Head cement can be applied to the thread wraps to make the fly more durable.

4.The finished fly. Note the flash in the tail!
    This fly has proven itself, particularly at lakenvlei (in the western cape), bass, trout and yellows also love em!
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Very nice Liam! I think I'll tie up a couple of those soon. Looks quick to tie as well. Thanks so much for sharing.

Regards,
    PTN

Liam, you tied this fly in one the previous fly swaps - I thought then already it was an awesome fly, sadly, a fish stole it, so I'm happy that you've posted the tying instructions, now I can tie up a few more for myself.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Nice Liam

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Have also tied a stimulator version of this pattern, which has proven to be really effective too....

Will try and post pictures soon!
    that be the one with the rubber legs? if so its not just effective.... its deadly!

Quote Originally Posted by kyle-J View Post
    that be the one with the rubber legs? if so its not just effective.... its deadly!
    That is indeed the pattern. Will have to do a SBS now...
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Magic fly magic fly . . .
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Very nice fly. Now to try and tie it
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

As promised, SBS to the ugly sibling of the this pattern as below:

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...012#post170012