Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt Tying books?

Default Salt Tying books?

Hey all

I was wondering if anyone could maybe help me out with some good books on saltwater tying? Something that will be of use to the south african salt angler, unfortunately I can't afford to do exotic trips.. I was looking on netbooks.co.za and there are just so many books and dvds there that i dont know what would be the best to get.. My tying skills are'nt all that great at all, I can tie a decent clouser and charlie but thats about as far as it goes

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Howzit Saltybugger

The "Favoured Flies" series of books contain flies used by some of the best local flyfishermen, and although they contain freshwater aswell as saltwater flies, you will get a good idea from that what you should be tying.

There are two volumes so far. have a look at the following links for details of what species are discussed in each one.

Favoured Flies Vol 1

Favoured flies vol 2

Cheers
    Grant

Thanks for the reply, I really have no interest in freshwater flies so I dont think those books would be worth the buck Are you familiar with that SALTWATER FLY PATTERNS by Lefty Kreh book thats also on there?

Sorry Salty, I am new to saltwater tying and bought those books for the Trout and Yellowfish flies, but now the saltwater sections are becoming useful.

I just had a look at netbooks and this one looks interesting to me:

Pop Fleyes by Bob Popovics

The Left Kreh one you mentioned also looks pretty cool but the Popovics one's description said it explains the thought process behind each fly and that would seem like a great way to understand the essential triggers in a saltwater fly to me. That is the knowledge I want, rather than the straight patterns.

A chap who joined us on our Orange river trip, Chris Bladen, who is a saltwater fly fisherman of note, could not stop praising Popovic's book. It's definitely on my Christmas list.

Thanks guys i'll definitely look into that book, meanwhile any other suggestions are welcome, I wish books were'nt so pricey though!

Hi Saltybugger, you can always order it from Amazon and pay about

R212.00
    R50+- for shipping
    and wait 2 weeks

Take2 is great and much cheeper than Net Books
    R304

http://www.take2.co.za/list.php?type...rch=Pop+Fleyes

Look you will only save about R30 if you order from Amazon so i'd buy from Take2.

Cheers

yes Kevin , Bob Popovics flies are great.

Hi there guys

Yes, I agree that the Popovicks book is brilliant. It only covers about fifteen patterns, but the explanations behind the flies and the tying sequences are great.

Another fantastic book is the Bob Veverka book called Innovative Salt Water Flies.

Whatever you do, stay away from the David Klausmeyer books. They are really pathetic in content. The good photography sells them.

Cheers
    MC

MC , nou wanneer skryf jy 'n boek. Ek het jou al 'n paar keer dop gehou by Sean, jou vliee is volgens my van die hoogste gehalte en standaarde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast