Thread: Pros and cons of Convex or Double-Taper leaders

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Default Pros and cons of Convex or Double-Taper leaders

I've been fishing double-tapered leaders exclusively for the past few months, having first encountered specific formulas on a CD received from Ed Herbst. I thought the idea was revolutionary, eventhough the idea was relatively old, I proceeded to tie a few in various lengths to try out. While tying them I held them by the butt between my thumb and forefinger and was amazed at how well they turned over. I first fished them on the Elandspad beat 3 in December 2007, a few days after I initially tied them. In the presence of a relatively annoying downstream wind early morning I found that the longer leader collapsed the same way a conventional tapered leader would in the presence wind. However, the shorter leader was adequate enough for decent presentations under the prevailing conditions, but not significantly so that I would swear by it.
    After speaking to an angler friend, who also "discovered" them with the help of Ed, he started experimenting with different double-tapered leader configurations. By adapting the leaders I have tied to his configurations they came to life. I subsequenlty tied a minimal version for my 000wt and tested it soon after on one of my favourite local unknown streams. As it was January, stepping into the stream, the water was low, but still running cold. Early morning, I took a decent sized trout in the head of a nice pool and proceed to fish the runs and pocket water. I started casting to rising fish with small dry flies on 7x tippet, deceiving most of them. My overall impressions were that these leaders presented well when sight-fishing to feeding trout in low water.
    However, the last test these leaders went through was last week on the Elandspad, here the same conditions reigned when I first started using these leaders, however the trout were much more educated. Sight fishing to visibly feeding fish rhythmically gliding from side to side, intercepting nymphs and the occasional drifting insect, the double-tapered leaders we were fishing resulted in spooked fish while presenting our flies.
    After thinking about Double-tapered versus Tapered leaders I came to the conclusion that the convex leaders was our Achilles heel on Thursday. My reasoning for this lies in double-taper leader construction, as the thickest part of the leader lies in the middle of the leader, possibly casting too much shadow while presentations were being made, therefore resulting in refusals or spooked fish.
    Don't get me wrong these leaders are awesome under normal fishing conditions, however would be a hamper while fishing for educated trout.
    Last edited by shector; 18-03-08 at 05:16 PM.

Now this is good stuff... thank you...

I would love to read how to make that leader, where can I find information????
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Now this is good stuff... thank you...

I would love to read how to make that leader, where can I find information????
    Hi Max
    Thanks bud. I'll go through the CD tonight as Ed included some saved websites as well as articles he has written on the subject.

Cheers

The double tapered leader is "old" news in Europe, and was made famous by the French.
    The latest designs in leader designs are "weight forward" designs.
    Here the leader's forward belly is achieved by making a "couple" of knots in the leader. This provides a shooting head effect in the leader.
    You can now make longer casts with your leader only.
    Takes a bit of getting use to but presenting flies with it becomes a dream, once you have mastered the technique.
    I will get the details properly listed and then post it here.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The double tapered leader is "old" news in Europe, and was made famous by the French.
    The latest designs in leader designs are "weight forward" designs.
    Here the leader's forward belly is achieved by making a "couple" of knots in the leader. This provides a shooting head effect in the leader.
    You can now make longer casts with your leader only.
    Takes a bit of getting use to but presenting flies with it becomes a dream, once you have mastered the technique.
    I will get the details properly listed and then post it here.
    You are quite right Korrie, thanks for pointing it out. The Double-tapered leader is in actual fact a weight-forward leader. We were just accustomed to the term, hence me referring to it as a double-tapered leader.

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    You are quite right Korrie, thanks for pointing it out. The Double-tapered leader is in actual fact a weight-forward leader. We were just accustomed to the term, hence me referring to it as a double-tapered leader.
    Yes, the leader that you are talking about is the double tapered or "weight forward". this is achieved by thicker line.
    The latest ruling by FIPS mouche is that in leaders must taper from thick to thin. No stepping up in line size as you near the front section of the leader.
    To now achieve the "belly" in the line, the straight mono, they now tie knots in the leader.

The tippet section is now also slightly altered, with this design.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Yes, the leader that you are talking about is the double tapered or "weight forward". this is achieved by thicker line.
    The latest ruling by FIPS mouche is that in leaders must taper from thick to thin. No stepping up in line size as you near the front section of the leader.
    To now achieve the "belly" in the line, the straight mono, they now tie knots in the leader.

The tippet section is now also slightly altered, with this design.
    Interesting concept, i'll give it a shot.

i too had similar finds and recently read http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/rss-fe...ight-rods.html , makes sense to move the belly