Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted:Rams Wool & Craft Fur

Default Wanted:Rams Wool

Hi,

Can I get this locally or do I have to import?Or any acceptable substitute...

Thanks
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 20-06-11 at 04:30 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Get the bucktail or if you really have objections to using bucktail, try polar fibre, that stuff looks like magic to me.

Yak hair (thanks Wiets) is also brilliant for clousers/deceivers/profile flies.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Also with the bucktail use a stacker to sift away the shorter hairs so your base body tied onto the hook isn't too thick. Craft fur is aso good for smaller flies and especially for fish with little or no teeth, otherwise they can make short shrift of craft fur which tends to matt together. There are lots of lousy craft furs for flyfishing applications, but the one brand that I find the best I've used is Rainys. Check out 'rainysflies.com'. This is almost like an ultra-thin bucktail and doesn't matt together so much. Some of the Joburg ff shops occasionally stock this

On wool, well, any haberdashery shop will help. With the aid of a fine steel dog comb you can tease out required wool from any balls of wool to suit your applications for woolheads or other. This can then be used dubbing-style.

Ram's wool - you must have some farming mates? Merinos would be great, unsure about some of the more scraggly guys we see around Gauteng!

++

Ram's wool reminds me of the Tup's Indispensable fly which was invented by a tobacconist in Dorset in pre-WW1 Edwardian England. He lived close to a little village our family lived in during the late 1950's. It was sheep area, and the old English flyfishers used to use this fur much as we use CDC now. It was taken from around the ram's meat/two veg area and lightly washed for obvious reasions. Unlike CDC the ram's fur is so heavily-impregnated with natural oil the cleaning process doesn't really take too much oil away. This was used as a fore-body for the dry fly or slow-sinking wet which in combo with the rest of the fly imitated pale wateries, a general name which also includes some of our Baetis lighter-coloured adult flies. This can also be used as an emerger pattern, which the oldies did, but without having a fancy name for the art of fishing the fly in, and not on, the surface film. The original called for a body 'ram's wool, cream coloured seal's fur, lemon spaniel's fur, and a few pinches of yellow mohair'. Pretty complicated stuff but you can sub with modern yellowy-cream materials with more of a floatant nature or that can be 'greased-up' to float dry or in the surface film. The hackle wing was of a light blue cock hackle speckled with gold...again you'd need to substitute with something pretty close these days! Skues who 'developed' the fly substituted the mohair by a touch of crimson seal's fur for certain of the 'Pale Wateries' species. The tail can be the same colour as the wing. This was originally tied on a size 16 dry fly hook to approximate the size of the various natural adults. The 'nymph' or what we'd call 'emerger' usually used a light honey-coloured short hen hackle for greated movement in the water. The inventor, Austin, got so sick of tying the bladdy things, one of the locals said 'the Dorsetshire Frome stank of Tup's Indispensables from Maiden Newton to the sea!' The few dries you see in the shops these days are far-removed from this original dressing! As I was only aged 3 to 5 when we lived on the farm there, I was not aware of ram's wool as a tying material otherwise several of our tups (also a word used in the Anglo-Saxon sense of servicing a lady) would have been given Brazilians...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Gerrit

Don't use Polar Fibre (the brand name). This is basically just re packaged dash board fur and is too soft and has no translucency. The best brand is the American Craft Fur but this is not available locally.

As an alternative, even better, use Fishient's Mirror Image or for slightly bigger patterns the Slinky Fibre will do better. With both of these you must just make sure that you taper the flies well.

For the Woolhead patterns you should lpin Wool from Wapsi. This is available in all colours and works incredibly well.

Cheers
    MC

Thanks Bertu,Chris & Mc,some good advice here.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Thanks Bertu,Chris & Mc,some good advice here.
    Have you tried calf tail?

Gerrit, if you can make it down to our flytying tomorrow night I can bring some of the Rainys (USA) craft fur I use - if not can maybe get Werner etc to take some back to the Far North for you to experiment with?
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

I use hair clipped from my Springer Spaniel ... (much to his indignation!) ... long soft strands in black and pure white ... works very well for hairwing streamers, etc.

(and I see from Chris' posting, Spaniel has been used before ... in combination with Ram scrotum!! )
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Pretty please anyone on the forum wanting to sell me Black Rams wool? Mine is out of stock.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 20-06-11 at 04:35 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Gerrit
    Gaan na elke familie en soek die swart skaap in die familie.
    Hopelik sal die, manlik wees, dan het jy die ram, pas net op dat dit nie 'n koggelram is nie.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast