Thread: Tail Strip Comparisons

Arrow Tail Strip Comparisons

Hi,

Would some of the old hands please give some info and tips based on actual tying/fishing experience on the following tail materials?

Zonker Strips
    Squirrel Strips
    Mink

Pro's and con's of each.Please also list brand names and suppliers.

Thanks in advance

Gerrit

In the old days you could only find rabbit and everybody seemed happy with that. The quality was extremely variable and you really had to scratch around for good stuff.

Things have changed and now the quality is generally very good. Good quality for me means that the hair on the strips must be evenly distributed without and sparse patches. The strips must also not be cut from the belly area on the animal as the belly strips has way too much base fur and hardly no guard hairs - basically just fluff on skin.

The differences between the three options basically relate to markings and length of fibre. This gives you more options as far as size of flies are concerned. The squirrel and mink is possibly slightly harder than the rabbit but really not much.

Brand names to look for are Wapsi and Hareline. For Rabbit I would only look at Hareline and they have some awesome new variations. Look at the variegated or barred Rabbit strips.

Both Wapsi and Hareline sell the Mink and Squirrel strips and here the quality is far more consistent.

Most shops will sell the Wapsi stuff if/when they can get it from the supplier. Hareline is available from Laxtons.

Cheers
    MC

Thanks Mc,

I was just curious about other options than Rabbit.I know Shaun loves his Mink(Not the coat he wears to the Rock concert ) and GGY Squirrel for GRHE's.

Like u say,to many fluff on some of the rabbit which makes ur fly looks and act stupid once wet = no fish.

Carefully selecting the right patch is all good en well but how much of the actual strip is unusable?A lot I can tell you.Unless u wanna use it for something other than tails.

Geez what a slep for me staying in PTA?I don't have the blerrie time to drive to JHB all the time and sometimes these shops are the only ones that stock a spesific thing.

Importing is fine but there's always a delay in delivery.Guess I need to plan my orders more efficiently to avoid disappointment
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 26-03-08 at 08:13 AM.

I used to like Cutting Edge Supplies, they're relatively cheap, you get a lot in the pack + it's available from our local. Recently however the quality has been very inconsistent and you get bald patches, thin hair, skin that is too thin or too thick, etc etc etc. I have two packets now that are basically not useable unless you want to just mess around. You might get more in the packet, but less than half is actually usable.

Hareline's Magnum Strips are just the thing for big streamers, the base is uniform in thickness, lots of fluff AND longer hairs and good selections ito colour.

Sci Fly's "Out of Africa" range also has some fair quality stuff, though the skin part tends to be a bit fragile and breaks under too much strain, all over however they're good.
    Last edited by Scythe; 26-03-08 at 09:03 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Hareline's wider Texas strips are good for chunkier tails, and their cross sections excellent for 'hackling' a big fly body as the hairs all face in a 'slope' when you tie them.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I used to like Cutting Edge Supplies, they're relatively cheap, you get a lot in the pack + it's available from our local. Recently however the quality has been very inconsistent and you get bald patches, thin hair, skin that is too thin or too thick, etc etc etc. I have two packets now that are basically not useable unless you want to just mess around. You might get more in the packet, but less than half is actually usable.

Hareline's Magnum Strips are just the thing for big streamers, the base is uniform in thickness, lots of fluff AND longer hairs and good selections ito colour.

Sci Fly's "Out of Africa" range also has some fair quality stuff, though the skin part tends to be a bit fragile and breaks under too much strain, all over however they're good.
    Hi Bertu,

I currently use them both David's and Arno's but when last have u seen quantity and quality at our local?

I've complained,begged,asked,ordered and even went as far as phoning David,emailing Arno and no one comes to the "opskop"(party)

I'm telling u I'm done relying on them.When I do go around for my weekly k@k praat sessie I'll wonder around and see what's on and what's off.

My own conclusion is that they're done flytying wise.More drop shot,papgooi,Bass and Saltwater stuff.

In order to become a world class tyer one would need stock won't you?And a continual supply to go with that.

I'm heading in a wrong direction now so I'll stop immediately.Thanks for ur post. Hareline here I come

Make friends with someone at a zoo or start collecting roadkill if you are relying on the flyshops in pretoria for anything out of the ordinary
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Make friends with someone at a zoo or start collecting roadkill if you are relying on the flyshops in pretoria for anything out of the ordinary
    He he good advice,geez these okes r slow go nowadays.

I just got an amazing new contact for all sorts of game birds,animal skins and what not.

Will revert back once I got my 1st batch of goodies.Gimme a month or so.