Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The right epoxy ?

Default The right epoxy ?

Hi Guys,

Currently I'm using stock standard Pattex 5 min, but honestly this stuff sucks and I havn't seen any "30 minute" epoxy or any of the brands the overseas swoffers speak of.

I keep on mixing and agitating the liquid after mixing, then it is like liquid for a long time then goes hard within 10 seconds. Should I be applying the epoxy while liquid to flies like the surf candy and then hope I manage to properly shape it in time when it sets or am I doing it wrong ? Should I rather not agitate it and instead just mix, apply & continually shape untill it sets ? Honestly I havn't noticed much by way of difference between just leaving it v continually agitating/mixing it, it goes hard in 10 seconds in both scenarios.

What brands of epoxy do you guys like to use for your salty tying ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Good morning

I basically use two types of epoxy - really slow setting and the 5 minute type.

On the fast setting epoxy the two best brands are Z-Poxy and Devcon. Both set in about five minutes and stay clear for a long period of time before turning yellow.

The more you mix the epoxy, the more bubbles you create, so mix it slowly ant try not to lift the needle off the mixing surface. It is also important to not use a porous surface. On Surf Candies I will apply two coats of epoxy. The first coat locks the materials in place and the second shapes the fly.

For finishing off flies like the Sea Habits or Deceivers, I use High Build epoxy. The HB takes about twelve hours to set completely and for this I obviously use a rotisserie. The advantage of HB is that it does not turn yellow after a period of time.

You can mix the HB as aggressively as you want and then simply touch a lighter flame to the epoxy to remove all the bubbles. When you tie sets of flies this stuff works really well because of the long working time. Just keep in mind that it has a tendency to "run" into synthetic materials, so be carefull about the amount of epoxy you apply.

Cheers
    MC

Wierd stuff the pattex, in my limited experience it always seems to work fine when opened the first time, but after being open a week or two it goes milky. Sollys in fourways and Mias stock the devcon, its super stuff and well worth the price they whack you. When mixing the two parts don't ever move the needle(or whatever you mix with) out of the epoxy, instant bubbles. When tying surf candies I found its easier to get a good shape/profile by applying the epoxy in two coats. First coat to set the materials/eyes in place, and let it set. Then put on a second coat for the finish. Hope this helps.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

I buy my epoxy from game our makro, its bostic epoxy 10min and it comes in that mixing siringe. I have flies that's over a year old and it has not turned yellow yet. its about R45 or R50 and it works fine. to mould the epoxy, wait till just before it goes hard and then lick your fingers and wet with saliva, work well on silicone as well.
    just remember you are not gonna get this right the 1st time and you are gonna stuff up some flies doing it, but when you get it right it looks awsome.
    I will ask leroy to post a pic off his epoxy sprat that he tied, great sprat patern.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Bertu try Builders Atterbury(walk in straight 30m,the shelve will be on ur right,a shelve with lots of glue,u might even find something new & usefull) and Jemnettes(Art shop) in Lynnridge Mall next to the old Spur above Wimpy.They stock 5min and 10 min.

I prefer the 5min nowadays,much harder effect but u have to coat like a crazy person.I sets quick.

The con of both,it does turn yellowish after a month or so.Rem I fish the Vaal weekly.(The yellow might be of some or other unexplained source )
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 26-03-08 at 01:24 PM.

I agree with MC, best stuff I've come across is Devcon 5min epoxy.

Use a match and keep it 90deg to the surface, mix slowly so you don't get bubbles, use a flat surface and make sure your amounts are exactly equal.

Hi guys

Not being a Salty man at all, I need to ask this question.

Won't the irregular bubbles in the epoxy add a little something something to the fly? I mean, scales and such?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

If you mix the epoxy badly, lifting the match / needle / whatever and make bubbles, then your fly will have bubbles in it.

If you're careful, you'll have happy little flies

Mario

It is more like dandruff - it does not add much appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Mario

It is more like dandruff - it does not add much appeal.
    I really would have thought it would bounce light off quite nicely and imitate some movement - oh well, guess that's why I'm not a Salty Man
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast