Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The right epoxy ?

Scythe you certainly have got a lot of advice on epoxies and here is my 5 cents worth. I tie lots of big profile and slammer flies so I use a lot of epoxy. Used to use the Pattex syringe system but found that if it is a bad or old batch or been open for a while it does not set so gave up on that several years ago.
    Devcon 5 minute is good because it does not yellow but sometimes difficult to find so Ben and I both use another US brand that also DOES NOT go yellow, NHP Co., Inc 5 minute. Both are expensive and available in 113gram bottles as I find the syringe system messy. I used to think it does not matter if the flies turn yellow but it spoils them and is a waste of time and effort put into your flytying.
    Our best source of these epoxies are model shops and if you can get a few guys buying they will keep stock. Otherwise get them off the internet.

I use my z-poxy stuff that I get from RC airplane shops. I have 6 and 30 minute and I think you can get longer setting stuff too.

Have you guys tried any of the stuff Bob Popovic's raves about - 'tuffleye' ?

http://www.wetahook.net/

Jono, I have and my conclusion is that Bob ( I am a great follower of Bob's flies )and his partner must have spent so much money on R & D that they have been forced to promote a product that is very much more difficult to use and notnecessarily better than epoxy. I was so impressed at his article that I was about to order this VERY expensive stuff and a special blue light ( UV does not work ! ) Luckily an impulsive friend had bought some and found the whole process very laborious and he gave it to me to try. I persevered with it but in the end gave him back what was left.
    I followed the instructions to the letter, 2 part process, 2nd coat takes a LONG time to harden, all the time manually rotating the light. Then it dries matt ( as if you have sanded the epoxy ! ) with a tacky surface which you have to clean with alcohol ! Instr say to get a showcase finish use a coat or two of hard as nails varnish. Well my flies are not showcase they have to work and catch fish and Hard as Nails won 't stay on the fly for even one hard casting session !
    I thought well leave off the varnish as in the water the matt finish disappears but It looks lousy. The 2nd ( finish) coat has to be applied rather thickly to run and smooth out making the fly very heavy.
    Tried making profile flies and coating foam poppers but all too heavy to cast well. Epoxy works just fine.

Scythe, meant to add that with epoxy, as other guys have mentioned it is normally necessary to use 2 coats. I normally work the first one into the fur/ hackle to give a strong bond to the hook and use it to stick on the eyes. The 2nd coat is used to give final shape and just before it finally hardens a wet finger moved in a light smooth stroke will shape and give a shiny finish. I use saliva but soapy water ( sunlight liquid as used for silicone ) on your finger works too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Weingartz View Post
    ... I use saliva ...
    Gives new meaning to the phrase "spit & polish" doesn't it.

I'd started scouting for a 'proper' wetting agent, but will definately give the soapy water a try first.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

If you are using the soapy water for silicone flies it needs to be a fairly strong mix, again lightly stroke the silicone with your wet finger frequently wetting your finger, if you press too hard you need to wipe any silicone off your finger as you go.
    Have you tried using alternatives to silicone ?
    There is a clear acrylic sealant ( water based ), that stays quite flexible, available from hardwares.
    What I have recently started using is Loon's Soft Head, it is a flexible polyurethane. I find it so good that I no longer use silicone but use this for Silicone mullet type flies, applied with a bsmall rush.
    A good example is the fat head mullet ( in a recent 'Flyfishing in saltwater. mag ) Like a hollow silicone mullet. but you only need two coats, it is strong, lighter than silicone and sinks well ( if you want it to )
    It is similar to a poly called Softex also avail from US but going off the market soon

i havn't actually tied with silicone yet, I've experimented just once or twice on bogus flies to get a feel for the materials & how they handle in between my tying of other SW flies.

Silicone, Epoxy & 'profile' flies are my current learning endeavours, though my hollow flyes and bendbak mullets & variations already look more than reasonable in my book.

Definately going to experiment wiith alll the information in this thread.

Thanks again guys.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2