Page 3 of 618 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaal River Update

Blog Entries

Howdee Chaps

Went to Strome today with my brother, was his 1st time on the Vaal. I managed 1 Yellow and 2 Muddies ( One which was over 2 kgs) however, the Rivers ***s decided to remind me not to get to cocky on the river thus I was blessed with leader tangles after leader tangles....

Enough about me....Welldone to Troyco (Troy) 1st time on the Vaal:

Hooked his 1st two Yellows and Landed one....

Also got his 1st Stubborn Muddie

Good Going Boet
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Howdee Chaps

Went to Strome today with my brother, was his 1st time on the Vaal. I managed 1 Yellow and 2 Muddies ( One which was over 2 kgs) however, the Rivers ***s decided to remind me not to get to cocky on the river thus I was blessed with leader tangles after leader tangles....

Enough about me....Welldone to Troyco (Troy) 1st time on the Vaal:

Hooked his 1st two Yellows and Landed one....

Also got his 1st Stubborn Muddie

Good Going Boet
    Well done to the two of you!!!! Shamwari 3 trips no blanks, his brother 1st trip no blank.
    Again WELL DONE.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Blog Entries

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Well done to the two of you!!!! Shamwari 3 trips no blanks, his brother 1st trip no blank.
    Again WELL DONE.
    I tell my boet was in his element, it looked as if he has been doing this for years.

He even got a proper Vaal river medal...the poor guy dinged his knee whilst doing the shuffel ...eish eish eish.....looked like a flippen gem squash...

While I am on the Vaal subject...early this morning there was a mushy Caddis hatch....I tried some dries with flotant...no takes - plus the fly kept on getting bloody water logged so I gave up....

What is the best Dry Fly technique when this occures because man, the fish were active?

WEnt to Erina this morning to try something totally new to me.Pukka CZN for muddies, being targeted below the old low level bridge. I confess that I really battled with the concept of only 2' fly line out and the leade join just out of the water.
    I eventually got tha hang of it as well as +- 15 muddies.
    The most memorable moment was CZN the "Zebra Crossing" ( this is where EVERYONE enters or leaves the waters ) and caught 2 yellows, one of which was boredering on 2 kg literally 3m from the bank. The looks on the faces of the 2 blokes who just "ploughed through" on their way in will stay with me for a long time.
    Flies that worked were:
    Muddies: OLive & mustard caddis.
    Yellows : GRHE tied from dark olive black back jackal.
    The flows were very comfortable, my guestimate 20 cumecs.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    WEnt to Erina this morning to try something totally new to me.Pukka CZN for muddies, being targeted below the old low level bridge. I confess that I really battled with the concept of only 2' fly line out and the leade join just out of the water.
    I eventually got tha hang of it as well as +- 15 muddies.
    The most memorable moment was CZN the "Zebra Crossing" ( this is where EVERYONE enters or leaves the waters ) and caught 2 yellows, one of which was boredering on 2 kg literally 3m from the bank. The looks on the faces of the 2 blokes who just "ploughed through" on their way in will stay with me for a long time.
    Flies that worked were:
    Muddies: OLive & mustard caddis.
    Yellows : GRHE tied from dark olive black back jackal.
    The flows were very comfortable, my guestimate 20 cumecs.

Nice one Herman!! Sorry I couldn't make it...but going out for some large- and smallscales tomorrow. Going to be tough, as always...but let's see.

*sings* I'm...dreaming of a niiiccceeeee....Douglasssss....."

Appologies to Dean Martin (I think?)

Blog Entries

I tell my boet was in his element, it looked as if he has been doing this for years.

He even got a proper Vaal river medal...the poor guy dinged his knee whilst doing the shuffel ...eish eish eish.....looked like a flippen gem squash...

While I am on the Vaal subject...early this morning there was a mushy Caddis hatch....I tried some dries with flotant...no takes - plus the fly kept on getting bloody water logged so I gave up....

What is the best Dry Fly technique when this occures because man, the fish were active?
    Any tips to the above question?

Any tips to the above question?
    I am far from a dry fundi, in fact a complete novice. Soak your dries in Loons Hydrostop for 24hrs and leave them to dry on paper towelling for the same period.
    Even though there are fish rising all around you try and work out the "beat" of a specific fish and cast to THAT fish when you next expect it to rise.

Other than that the last 2 issues of both local f/f mags have had good articles on drys.

It's time to start tying boet.

early this morning there was a mushy Caddis hatch
    What's a mushy caddis hatch ?

....I tried some dries with flotant...no takes - plus the fly kept on getting bloody water logged so I gave up....
    You probably weren't matching the hatch properly. If I can give you one quick tip which will set you on the right path for SmallMouth on dry: Identify the rise type.

Splashy rises = No No
    Porpoise rises = Hold on to your hat dude.
    Cruising V Wakes = Hold on to your hat, your balls, your rod, your life ... because you are going water skiing.

Well there is only really one technique: Tie on a dry fly and get it ahead of them, drag free drift, hold on to your hat. Mostly SmallMouth will take the emergers and not the adults, the key again is to identify the rise type. Dry & Dropper works best. Start with an unweighted emerger that will ride in the meniscus about 15cm behind your dry, no action, then lengthen and use a slightly weighted emerger, no action, then lengthen again and use a heavier emerger or possibly change to a nymph.

The key is to pay attention to what's happening IN the water, often what we see coming off the water is not what the fish are eating. Case in point, was presented with a situation last year where there was 2 kinds of MF hatching in addition to Caddis.

Slapped on the right variations to match ... nudda ... tried the whole mix & match approach ... nudda. Eventually (as it was already getting dark by the time the fun started) I put on my Petzl and looked INTO the water to see black swimming nymphs in their millions, changed to a Black GB FB Nymph and wham, first cast, fish on. Only LATER did the fish move over to eating the emerging Caddis and after THAT they started munching the MF Adults.

By en large, If I'm not sure, I try to mix it up, ie : Caddis adult & MF Emerger/Nymph or vice versa, but most days you can easily pick up what's potting.

The last note I'd like to add: Don't always think the fish are eating what's coming OFF the water, they also key in what's returning TO the water. In cases like that you need weighted diving caddis imitations as nothing else will work. That's the beauty of the Vaal and SmallMouth, you learn to have a fly box & pre tied leaders to suit a large variety of situations.

HTH, Good luck, post a report & pics if you get your first on dry.
    Last edited by Scythe; 07-04-08 at 09:05 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    pre tied leaders
    Mmm....interesting

What's a GB again?Gamtoos Bully? Gold Bead?

Thanks u regular ocean traveller
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    What's a GB again?Gamtoos Bully? Gold Bead?
    Ja ou grap-gat. In this case ... GB == Glass Bead.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Page 3 of 618 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103503 ... LastLast