Page 507 of 635 FirstFirst ... 7 407 457 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 557 607 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,070 of 6346

Thread: Vaal River Update

Then the flow rate is looking very good for today

It looks good for today but it will not be the same next week when I have study leave.

Quote Originally Posted by PieterS View Post
    Seems the flow rate has dropped back considerably over night... how accurate are the measurements?
    Flow rates for the Vaal are accurate. Also if you are on the Rand Water mailing list, you get barrage flow data emailed daily.
    BUT
    Remember that it takes numerous days for the "plug" of water to work its way down from the Barrage or for the drop in Barrage flows to drop the flows further downstream. I cannot remember the exact days it takes, but suffice to say that it takes 3+ hours for changes at the Barrage flows to reach Goose Bay - so ~4 hours to Eagles Nest. Changes obviously takes longer to reach Eendekuil, Parys, etc further downstream. I think it may be something like 2-3 days to have the change reach Potch.

Thus you cannot just check CURRENT Barrage/Goose Bay flows to determine what the flow will be futher down stream, you need to check HISTORICAL flows and know the time delay.
    Quote Originally Posted by icstuff View Post
    Should be accurate - We have not received rain since the weekend. But rain is predicted for the weekend and early next week
    Remember that unless it rains a LOT in the catchment area of the Vaal tributaries below the Barrage so that these add appreciable amounts of water into the Vaal below the Barrage, it is the Barrage flows that determine water flows downstream (refer to CURRENT/HISTORICAL comments above too). Also even if it rains a lot/little above the Barrage, there may be OTHER reasons why they release more/less water from the Barrage. Thus no rain + a canoe race can equal high flows, but lots of rain+wanting to fill up the barrage/repairs etc can equal low flows.
    Then the flow rate is looking very good for today
    Which should be good for the weekend in Potch. but flows closer to the weekend would be better to monitor for upstream of Parys area.
    Last edited by GGY; 23-10-13 at 10:14 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

I am planning to fish close to Goose bay on Saturday, do you reckon the flow will be quite good by then?

I am planning to fish close to Goose bay on Saturday, do you reckon the flow will be quite good by then?
    Hi Pieter I cannot say. That all depends on flows released on Friday & Saturday morning from the Barrage.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

I was assuming that he was not going to fish as far as parys, and driving over the klip this morning the flow was about normal. Also checked rand waters figures so that all to me meant that the figures should be correct. Me complaining about next week is because of predicted rain over the weekend as well as on Monday and Tuesday. Which will ruin any plans I had for those days as well as Wednesday when those waters will be going through the barrage. With the added insult that my sedan will not be able to handle the handle the muddy ground that was left by the rain at venues where you can fish in higher flows.

But these are first world problems so I will b!tch and complain while eating a nice meal and sleeping under a roof that does not leak.

Like Gary said keep an eye on weather and flows this week

Quote Originally Posted by icstuff View Post
    I was assuming that he was not going to fish as far as parys, and driving over the klip this morning the flow was about normal. Also checked rand waters figures so that all to me meant that the figures should be correct. Me complaining about next week is because of predicted rain over the weekend as well as on Monday and Tuesday. Which will ruin any plans I had for those days as well as Wednesday when those waters will be going through the barrage. With the added insult that my sedan will not be able to handle the handle the muddy ground that was left by the rain at venues where you can fish in higher flows.

But these are first world problems so I will b!tch and complain while eating a nice meal and sleeping under a roof that does not leak.
    Hey Pieter, you've forgotten about venues "I", "S" and "GP" if there are high flows.

Also "I" has a good possie close by to drop of the family whilst you fish.:biggrin:
    Last edited by Herman Jooste; 23-10-13 at 08:54 PM.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Good to see you back herman, I was afraid the Freestaters left you on the bank in Christiana.
    I have not forgotten about them, but fishing in the rain when you are writing exam later on in the day is not the best option.
    Imagine that tjor of mine getting stuck in mud on my way back as well...

Hi. See Randwater/DWAF pushed flow from 22cms to 40cms this morning. So last three days its been 53, 22 and 40. Lots of flux in there...wonder what it will be tomorrow?
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Page 507 of 635 FirstFirst ... 7 407 457 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 557 607 ... LastLast