Thread: Vaal River Update

What a weekend on the Vaal.
    Yellowfish everywhere with appetites like they have not eaten for weeks.

Shark, where and when did you fish?

My trip to the Vaal seems to be the opposite!

Went to Nebo on Sunday. Started fishing at around 10. Water colour is ugly and the viz is terrible. Temp was over 27'C!!!! And the flow is the lowest I have ver seen it. I blive the Schoemansdrif meter reading around 10cumecs. Fishing was slow. And the fights were over quickly (hot water). Fish took a long time to revive. Between the two of us we caught 10 or so Yellows and a few Babel. Biggest smallmout was 2.1kg. Fish preferred a olive caddis but took whatver. They just werent that eager. Not nice to see the Vaal like this. But still a great day out.

Did manage to test out my new camera (Canon D20) and 'wading boots'. Canon worked great! Managed to but a pair of Hi-tec Para boots and thought they would work great for wading. Not to bad!

Cheers
    Last edited by Jacques O Dell; 20-01-14 at 12:26 PM.

Saturday between Ootshuizens and YFP.
    I forgot my wading boots so I ended up standing on the rocks and using a strike indicator with long line drift.

Fish jumping out the water everywhere.
    Missed a lot of takes but the ones I got were explosive and the fights were awesome. Nothing of great size but the guys in the streams landed one of at least 3kg and between me and my friend who was fishing with bait we caught about 17 fish in less than 2 hours. (16 yellow and 1 muddie)

I got most of the takes on a #14 green rockworm above the rapids in slow moving water.

Quote Originally Posted by shark_za View Post
    Saturday between Ootshuizens and YFP.
    I forgot my wading boots so I ended up standing on the rocks and using a strike indicator with long line drift.

Fish jumping out the water everywhere.
    Missed a lot of takes but the ones I got were explosive and the fights were awesome. Nothing of great size but the guys in the streams landed one of at least 3kg and between me and my friend who was fishing with bait we caught about 17 fish in less than 2 hours. (16 yellow and 1 muddie)

I got most of the takes on a #14 green rockworm above the rapids in slow moving water.
    Well done!

Next time try a bloodworm imitation as well (san juan or a red atomic worm), you will be surprized at how many muddies you will catch, trick is to get them properly hooked in the mouth! They are hard fighters, of you hook a 3kg+ fish you will have a helluva fight on your hands! They are very strong and do not tire as easily as yellows.

I also hooked & landed a 5kg+ river carp on that outing with the same red atomic worm in the slower water above the rapids, took me down the big rapid and probably gave me the best fight I have ever had on my 5wt!

Shark definitely seems to have picked the right spot for the weekend. I also fished the 18th and nearly blanked. Only landed 1 fish of about a kilo.
    I was one of about 9 at Eendekuil and most were in the same boat as me with almost no fish.

The water was dirty (+- 10cm vis) and quite low, very slightly more water than in October last year. The fish I did catch was on a 14 Green Caddis worm.
    Still, a day fishing is better than a day doing something else

fished below parys yesterday, mainly scouting venue for largie potential.
    Flows quite high (55 cumecs), visibility atrocious (< 5cm), fishing was tough, tally for about 4 hrs fishing, 1 small muddie ... some nice largie spots for future reference however
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

If it makes anyone feel better I fished Woelwaters this Saturday and landed a muddle and a yellow.
    Really hard day out but some other caught a few.

Is anyone still planning to fish the vaal this weekend with all this rain? I have a trip planned to the Parys area and just want to see if I am the only one crazy (or stupid) enough to go.
    Also do anyone know what the projected flow rate will be? Trying to check on reservoir.co.za but it's not yet updated with yesterday's flow rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Weberman View Post
    Is anyone still planning to fish the vaal this weekend with all this rain? I have a trip planned to the Parys area and just want to see if I am the only one crazy (or stupid) enough to go.
    Also do anyone know what the projected flow rate will be? Trying to check on reservoir.co.za but it's not yet updated with yesterday's flow rate?
    Hi Weberman, firstly welcome to the forums.

Schoeman's shows 14 which is patently wrong. Goose Bay shows 44 which seems right looking at the last Barrage release shown.

As to the recent rain, anything that fell south of the Jhb ridge will enter the Vaal, anything North will end up in the Crocodile. I travelled around the Eikenhoff / Walkersville area today and the little streams are pumping.

Tomorrow (Saterday the flows should be around 50, Sunday ????? Who knows, could go up to 80 + depending on what's coming in from the Suikerbos, Klip & Riet rivers.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Was at +-40 when I drove past the river 5pm this afternoon. I have some boulders which acts as my gauges no need for outdated interweb sites anymore yipee!!!

Page 518 of 635 FirstFirst ... 18418468508509510511512513514515516517518519520521522523524525526527528568618 ... LastLast