Thread: Vaal River Update

First cast of the afternoon strip strip boom leke vettie 12lber!

GERR4484.jpg GERR4487.jpg
    Gerrit Viljoen

The smallmouths are still very active on the river if you know where to look.

This photo just came out nice, many fatties around giving a very good fight.

Smallie.jpg

Hi Gerrit,

Where did you catch that vettie?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fishy View Post
    Hi Gerrit,

Next to all the bass spots He just does not post the bass pics!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Ha ha ha.....unlikely, they inhabit different lies......
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Next to all the bass spots He just does not post the bass pics!!!
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fishy View Post
    Hi Gerrit,

Vaalrivier naby Parys.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 28-05-15 at 02:25 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ha ha ha.....unlikely, they inhabit different lies......
    Probably the first bit of sense coming from you.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Anybody know why the barrage has been pumping at 30 cms the last few days? Are they trying to flush something I wonder.

Grant I have gone fishing when its 30 now here at Potch and it seems lower than 30 in summer. I think because the little streams that flow into it are all low now.

I have seen in the past if they keep it low and it is still a bit hot there can be an algae build up - maybe they are trying to avoid that with all the stuff that are pumped into the vaal.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant111 View Post
    Anybody know why the barrage has been pumping at 30 cms the last few days? Are they trying to flush something I wonder.
    Hi Grant, The barrage works on a minimum and max level , minimum being 7.35 and max 7.55 (although they don't let it reach those readings before they release or close), the simple reason for the 30 you asked about is because they dropped the flow to 10cums last week , which is extremely low, so the barrage level would have risen too quickly so they had to release the 30cums and the reason they dropped it to 10cums is the week before they lifted it to 40cums, causing the barrage level to drop quickly. They have now brought it down to 15cums on Sunday.

This season they have been extremely erratic with the control of the outflow, instead of stabilising it at approx 20 which would enable it to be more or less constant they have chosen to go up and down. Would be interesting to know why they are doing this.

The other major difference this season is actually the outflow of the Vaal dam. Generally over the last couple of years in the dry/winter season there was a constant outflow of 15cums, this has been the average outflow for years if the dam level was not reaching max. Currently the dam is at 73% full and we in the dry season now but yet they have been releasing just under 19 cums for the last couple of months, which will obviously effect the release of the barrage too. I would also be very interested as to why they are releasing 19cums and not 15?

Page 567 of 617 FirstFirst ... 67467517557558559560561562563564565566567568569570571572573574575576577 ... LastLast