Thread: Vaal River Update

Blog Entries

How busy are things on the Vaal of late? I remember fishing at Ben-Joh and yoh, it looked like Durban pier, even okes fishing in the spawning grounds (a whole other debate for another time). The sheer number of people put me off fishing the Vaal, especially at venues that once seemed to control numbers.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I caught 5 Yellows at Vermaasdrift yesterday afternoon. Water still a bit high, I think the coming weekend the water going to be perfect.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    How busy are things on the Vaal of late?
    Hi Julian - how busy are you in the nursery of late??? Congrats on the new addition to the family man!! Hope all is well and you get enough sleep!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I'm not sure who Mario is who runs this site but he has provided a fantastic explanation as to how flows below the barrage work. This link will not last as the home page changes every now and then. http://www.yellowfish.co.za/

Remember that the dept water affairs decides when and how much water to release and it does not always correspond to Vaal dam levels.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Hi Julian - how busy are you in the nursery of late??? Congrats on the new addition to the family man!! Hope all is well and you get enough sleep!!!
    Thanks Mario
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Fished Vaal and Orange on past 2 weekends - to and from the coast.
    Vaal below Bloemhof has 400mm visibility but dreaded soap suds below rapids. Fish scarce and small in the streams but visibility surprisingly good.
    Orange below V d Kloof was at 300mm visibility on 22 Jan but worsened to around 200mm at low water this past weekend with visible signs of the dirty water coming down at high water. Fishing was difficult but great especially at low water conditions.

Fished Eendekuil on the Vaal Saturday 11th. 8 fish, mostly small one decent size. Good water, good vis. Thought I saw a Koi in the water and not small either?

fished strydoms on saturday. turned out to be an excellent session with loads of fish landed from deep to shallow water. nymphed all day long as the hatches didnt play ball although there was a few fish raising. the main plan of the outting was to improve with the long mono leader and so chuffed with my performance but still need some work with the casting. flies that worked for me were the black mayfly nymphs (#16 jig hooks with gold bead) and light tan ghre (#20 beadless). must say the grip hooks (14012bl) were weak and wont find themselfs in my flybox again.

I saw you fishing at Strome on Saturday...I also saw you using a long mono leader... looks quite difficult to manage but you did get loads of fish.... well done.

I fished the faster waters above the rapids and just below the rapids... the fish were feeding... I also managed to get a lot of good quality fish... however my friends went on Sunday and it was quite.
    The flies that worked for me was the Green Rock worm and Pink Hotspot Ptn.

aaaa, from all the excitement screams i heard you must of had a hell of a nice hunt, those cascades do hold some big strong fish. nice to meet you WayneS

Page 608 of 617 FirstFirst ... 108508558598599600601602603604605606607608609610611612613614615616617 LastLast