Thread: Vaal River Update

So we ignored advice and went anyway! It was fun! The river was at 265cumecs. We've done the Elgro River Drift several times and usually only get to Elgro on day 2. Typically we paddle down when the river is at around 25 to 30 cumecs.

This time we raced down the river and reached Elgro by around 2pm! This was partly due to the fast flow but mainly because we couldn't really get out to fish!

We just had fun cruising along and there are very few people around too which was cool. Elgro was deserted. We didn't have to worry about scraping on rocks either!

We caught a few barbel on conventional tackle so it wasn't a total bust! Ended up getting from Schoemansdrift to Scandinavia Hotel in the 2 days! Good memories!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Yellowfishers!

I decided to join the forum and learn a few things from you guys (and to be able to view pictures of big LM yellows haha).

I live in PTA but we have a small farm near Parys on the free state side of the Vaal about 2km downstream from Vaal hackle. That is where I learned to flyfish from our neighbour Theo v Niekerk who took me along as a small boy.

I really love the vaal and regard myself as the local policeman on the 5 km stretch from Vaal Hackle downstream removing nets, fish traps, picking up bottles and asking locals to C&R yellowfish.

I hope to learn a few things from you guys as I just fish the way I do and never try new stuff. I am VERY interested in Largies having only caught small ones on fly so far between the SM in deeper rapids. I mostly fish a few small unknown rapids quite successfully and travel up and down the river in my fishing kayak

Looking forward to chat to you guys.
    Ernst Conradie

Quote Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
    Hi Yellowfishers!

I decided to join the forum and learn a few things from you guys (and to be able to view pictures of big LM yellows haha).

I live in PTA but we have a small farm near Parys on the free state side of the Vaal about 2km downstream from Vaal hackle. That is where I learned to flyfish from our neighbour Theo v Niekerk who took me along as a small boy.

I really love the vaal and regard myself as the local policeman on the 5 km stretch from Vaal Hackle downstream removing nets, fish traps, picking up bottles and asking locals to C&R yellowfish.

I hope to learn a few things from you guys as I just fish the way I do and never try new stuff. I am VERY interested in Largies having only caught small ones on fly so far between the SM in deeper rapids. I mostly fish a few small unknown rapids quite successfully and travel up and down the river in my fishing kayak

Looking forward to chat to you guys.
    Welcome
    Sounds like you have gem of a section of the river.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

So decided not to listen to good advice and went fishing anyway!

My friend and I regularly do a drift down the river, usually between Schoemansdrift and Elgro.

Usually this takes the better part of 2 days with all the stopping to fish etc. We like the flow to be around 30 cumecs. At that level the water is deep enough to not scrape on every rock but also wadeable.

Well on Saturday it was running at 265cumecs! We put in at Schoemansdrift around 11am and raced down the river. Even with a 1.5 hour stop for lunch at Schoemans Hof, we reached Elgro at about 3pm. This was due to the fast flow and not really being able to stop and fish. Our usual fishing spots were under 2m of water! Obviously it sucked not to be able to fish but it was fun being pushed downriver at a fast walking pace.

We did manage to get a few 2 to 3kg barbel on conventional tackle so it wasn't a total bust on the fishing front.

We finished off at the Scandinavia Hotel by lunch on day 2. It wasn't good from a fishing point of view but we enjoyed ourselves anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

thank you Ernst, removing nets is a health risk, so much appreciated and all your other efforts to keep the vaal beautifull

hey hey hey, fishable flow but dirty for sure
    http://www.reservoir.co.za/flow/flow...-10Mar2017.pdf
    maybe next weekend

any update on the viz? want to go next Tuesday on the holiday down to schoemans

fished arendnes on saturday the 18th with Icthusiast, viz was about 10/13cm, temp roughly from 18/19 degrees (measure by touch, forgot the damn tool at home) and guessed the flow about 25 to 27 cubes, fishing was very slow with only a few fish to show between the two of us, Icthusiast landed a nice 9 pounder barble, a first ever for him and obviously a pb (welldone mate, she reved you a little), including a couple of small yellows, pb about a pound (to be improved soon). insect life was non-existant, no rises.
    a lovely day out under the african sun since the last rains subsided and flows dropped.

dollar was the perfect host / tutor / guide! A fantastic introduction to fishing Africa.

The biggest problem of the day was my inability to hold onto decent fish. Dropped five that started off feeling like snags and then turned into steam trains boring upstream. Of course, as it was my first time, I have no reference points to say what they might have been or how good they were.

I guess that means I need some more practice! :-)

thanks for your kind words Icthusiast but it wasnt an effort from my side as it was from your side, i think coming from a world of dry flying to nymphing all day is a major change, nymphing is very technical.
    hope to see you soon, safe travels.

Page 610 of 618 FirstFirst ... 110510560600601602603604605606607608609610611612613614615616617618 LastLast