Page 615 of 618 FirstFirst ... 115515565605606607608609610611612613614615616617618 LastLast
Results 6,141 to 6,150 of 6171

Thread: Vaal River Update

Hi Herman, I'm back!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

I was there this past saturday.Really run down now.
    We went to target largies but flowes were only 10cumec and i could not get to any deep pools.Started fishing deeper runs for smallies and got a few.Lost a whopper of over 3kg.The water temps are 17-18degrees.Perfect.Water quality and viz looks really good

I cannot ever recall when the Vaaldam was at 87.5% full at the end of the winter.
    with a bit of good rain, early in the season, the dam will overflow and the rivers might be running very high for fishing.
    Guess that is called a mixed blessing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I'm thinking to do an early yellow fish session for a few hours this weekend.

I need help with a venue suggestion. Might also take the wife and kids along. So it needs to be family friendly and hopefully hold some fish.

Thanks.

Regarding the Vaal dam being so full, what is extra strange is that the Ash river outlet from Katse (which eventually flows into the Vaal) has been running at 30 cumecs all winter and thus Katse is only around 40% full. Bloemhoff is over 90% full, while Gariep is closer to 60% and Vandekloof 80%, with both the dams on the Orange now droppping fairly quickly to make electricity.

All of this seems nonsensical given that SA pays for the water from Katse, and less water flowing in the Orange river system means less available to generate free electricity.

To my mind, it would be better to keep water in the low-evaporation Katse and Vanderkloof dams than the high-evaporation Vaal and Blomehoff.

I tend to assume the usual government incompetence and lack of planning in these situations, but if anyone has a smart explanation and/or knows the real reason, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Circus2 View Post
    Regarding the Vaal dam being so full, what is extra strange is that the Ash river outlet from Katse (which eventually flows into the Vaal) has been running at 30 cumecs all winter and thus Katse is only around 40% full. Bloemhoff is over 90% full, while Gariep is closer to 60% and Vandekloof 80%, with both the dams on the Orange now droppping fairly quickly to make electricity.

All of this seems nonsensical given that SA pays for the water from Katse, and less water flowing in the Orange river system means less available to generate free electricity.

To my mind, it would be better to keep water in the low-evaporation Katse and Vanderkloof dams than the high-evaporation Vaal and Blomehoff.

I tend to assume the usual government incompetence and lack of planning in these situations, but if anyone has a smart explanation and/or knows the real reason, let us know.
    You must remember that all the farmers downstream from the dams in the Orange system are now starting the irrigation. LOTS AND LOTS OF Water are drawn out of the river
    about 30 to 40 cumecs are drawn out per hour from the Orange over the area below the dams, just for irrigation.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Exactly, so why send water to JHB where they have plenty and not send it to the Orange river irrigation and electricity areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Circus2 View Post
    Exactly, so why send water to JHB where they have plenty and not send it to the Orange river irrigation and electricity areas?
    It still has to flow thru the system. The water is managed all the way down. They keep "spare capacity" in the dams as well to act as a buffer should lots of rain fall.
    Gariep and VDK is the last reservoirs before it flows into the sea.
    I spoke to some of the water management guys. It is a well planned, management system, that normally works very well. (here and there you have a little hiccup. )
    Korrie Broos

Going to Eendekuil this Weekend - water temp looks good. Any specific fly patterns and colours you would suggest?

Hi Rhyn

I would definitely recommend a PTN hotspot for the smallies! had great success(4 smallies - lost 2 - in about an hour) with them on size 14 and 16 two weekends ago. Heavy beaded fly to get you down and then PTN hotspot or other variants in the new Zealand rig. If you come right please post a report! I'm interested to see how things are looking now. I wasn't at Eendekuil but our farm is a couple of km's from Eendekuil. Figured you should have similar success as the water is practically the same!

Tight Lines!
    It only counts on fly!

"As jy rus, rus die vis." - Rule #5

Page 615 of 618 FirstFirst ... 115515565605606607608609610611612613614615616617618 LastLast