Page 630 of 635 FirstFirst ... 130 530 580 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 LastLast
Results 6,291 to 6,300 of 6346

Thread: Vaal River Update

Very nice Largies! I was in Parys this weekend but I my head (wrongfully) winter is not fishing time haha
    Ernst Conradie

Thanx we didn't have the greatest of weather to say the least.....:tongue:

Lekker Largie gekry vandag mooi Igme Ferreira!

IMG_8519.jpg

Baie mooi, lyk my die weer was ook lekker warm.

Hi Gerrit,

I don't know if anyone has asked you this before in this thread so if so I apologise for not finding it - we are on Pg 613!!

With your experience in catching Largies, are there any specific triggers that you have noticed over time that would indicate a good session coming up?

I refer here to the different factors as below and perhaps you can provide input accordingly;

Weather patterns - Before / After a cold front, Barometric activity Up/Down, Overcast/Clear skies, Wind conditions

Flow rates - Low, Med, High - Recent changes to flow or steady flow over a period of time.

Insect Activity - Hatch indicators, terrestrial or aquatic

Visibility during catch window

Best time of day

Best time of year

Catch areas - Top of pool below rapids / middle stretches / Tail end of pool above rim flow out

Depth of typical lies

Depth of fly when taken by the fish.

I just thrashed this together with top of mind considerations. but anyone wanting additional info or comments to more aspects, please post.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Vlamgat; 17-08-17 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlamgat View Post
    Hi Gerrit,

I don't know if anyone has asked you this before in this thread so if so I apologise for not finding it - we are on Pg 613!!

With your experience in catching Largies, are there any specific triggers that you have noticed over time that would indicate a good session coming up?

I refer here to the different factors as below and perhaps you can provide input accordingly;

Weather patterns - Before / After a cold front, Barometric activity Up/Down, Overcast/Clear skies, Wind conditions

Flow rates - Low, Med, High - Recent changes to flow or steady flow over a period of time.

Insect Activity - Hatch indicators, terrestrial or aquatic

Visibility during catch window

Best time of day

Best time of year

Catch areas - Top of pool below rapids / middle stretches / Tail end of pool above rim flow out

Depth of typical lies

Depth of fly when taken by the fish.

I just thrashed this together with top of mind considerations. but anyone wanting additional info or comments to more aspects, please post.

Thanks in advance.
    Have you spent a day with Gerrit on the water? Worth it! I learnt a lot

I agree, Gerrit is an amazing guide. Really worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Apologies Vlamgat, been really busy with a few projects and personal stuff haven't been very active. Yes there are definately factors/triggers that I consider but most of the time I just go out fishing! I live so close to the water so tracking conditions is a lot easier vs a guy staying in JHB. Will reply in more detail soon. Or else phone me will gladly assist.

Hey guys, been on a sabbatical for a while.
    So what's happening on the Vaal ?
    Summer is nearly here so hope you are all tying like crazy so I can bum flies.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    Don't forget the black nymphs.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Welcome back Herman! You a bit too early ... Its still winter. Checkout the "its largie time" thread for the action on the vaal
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Page 630 of 635 FirstFirst ... 130 530 580 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 LastLast