Page 604 of 635 FirstFirst ... 104 504 554 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,040 of 6346

Thread: Vaal River Update

Tx BT for that piece, must agree with you 100% I would add water clarity / viz. High viz is not always beneficial. Fished Schoemsnsdrift area on Friday. Water temp started at 24 deg, clarity about 1,5 ft. Flowrate fown to 12 cumecs. Some action early and then things slowed down to dead water except for the catfish.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

I'm not worries about viz really a good lie is a good lie regardless of viz I worry about water quality like what we're having on the Vaal currently...

Just a pretty pic.....my client Kevin was the angler very talented dude now on to the big boys! :wink:

Kevin.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    Just a pretty pic.....my client Kevin was the angler very talented dude now on to the big boys! :wink:

Kevin.jpg
    That size fish on a #3 is such fun to catch
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Went to Benjo today. Saturday.
    Fishing was slow and tuff. Only one or two small hatches seen.
    Lots of small yellows around which is good news. The water clarity was gone due to rain.
    The weather was cloudy and it was not so hot. I managed to land 2 yellows of 2.5kg which was somewhat off a reward for the slow going.
    Just one more cast.......... make it count ...........

I went to Yellowfish Paradise on Friday afternoon. No rain or thunder for a change, but the wind was blowing quite a bit... making casting upstream a hassle. Managed to catch 2 muddies and probably missed 8 or 9 proper hook-ups. With the waves action is was difficult to detect bites with the floating strike indicator. Water level was also quite a bit higher than a week ago.

My client Riaan with a beast 4.5kg Smallmouth Rubberlip Yellow!

GERR6339.jpg GERR6342.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 06-02-16 at 10:02 PM.

In conditions like that, did do adjust your technique?
    First thing to do, would be to take the indicator off, put some weight on the flies, like a split shot or a heavy "control" fly so that you can feel the takes easier, and fish much closer so you don't have to cast upstream. Down stream or across with a DI3 or an intermediate line would also have worked,
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinD View Post
    I went to Yellowfish Paradise on Friday afternoon. No rain or thunder for a change, but the wind was blowing quite a bit... making casting upstream a hassle. Managed to catch 2 muddies and probably missed 8 or 9 proper hook-ups. With the waves action is was difficult to detect bites with the floating strike indicator. Water level was also quite a bit higher than a week ago.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    In conditions like that, did do adjust your technique?
    First thing to do, would be to take the indicator off, put some weight on the flies, like a split shot or a heavy "control" fly so that you can feel the takes easier, and fish much closer so you don't have to cast upstream. Down stream or across with a DI3 or an intermediate line would also have worked,
    Another options would have been to have removed the indicator and just done it by feel. Proper tight line techniques. That way you can feel the flies on the bottom and detect soft takes without the waves interfering
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Yes, that is what I was trying to describe. The reason I said, "heavy weighted flies", is to maintain the tension on the rod tip in the very windy and wavy conditions. In conditions like that, it helps to fish closer so you can be better connected to the flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Another options would have been to have removed the indicator and just done it by feel. Proper tight line techniques. That way you can feel the flies on the bottom and detect soft takes without the waves interfering
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 604 of 635 FirstFirst ... 104 504 554 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 ... LastLast