Page 117 of 635 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 167 217 617 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 6346

Thread: Vaal River Update

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques O Dell View Post
    I think those two you are wondering about are midges. Also called 'warmassies' in afrikaans. How big were they?
    I am unsure trying to ID them from 'Field guide to insects of SA' - might be 'biting midges'.

They were 3-4mm approximately; will see if I can get a sample this morning and take some decent macro pics at home.

The 1st pic in abovementioned post is a midge if I am correct - similar to a mosquito but with the raised front end.

Bit difficult to see from the pics, but I agree the first one I think is an adult Chironomid ('buzzer') - you can usually tell by the two 'fans' on their face and
    they have a thin body but no 'sting'.

I think the fatter black jobs are adult blackflies ('Simulium' family). These are the guys with conical shaped larvae and thew adults bite like buggery - especially if you're wearing a blue shirt

The caddis seems to be one of the Hydropsychidae adults. The larvae being the 'mustard caddis' jobbies. These usually stick around the river a bit later in the season than the Macrostemum ('chartreuse caddis' larvae) adults which are a bit larger and paler and more of a summertime occurrence.

What's on the one pic I can't tell as all I see is camouflage!!!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Bit difficult to see from the pics, but I agree the first one I think is an adult Chironomid ('buzzer') - you can usually tell by the two 'fans' on their face and
    they have a thin body but no 'sting'.

I think the fatter black jobs are adult blackflies ('Simulium' family). These are the guys with conical shaped larvae and thew adults bite like buggery - especially if you're wearing a blue shirt

The caddis seems to be one of the Hydropsychidae adults. The larvae being the 'mustard caddis' jobbies. These usually stick around the river a bit later in the season than the Macrostemum ('chartreuse caddis' larvae) adults which are a bit larger and paler and more of a summertime occurrence.

What's on the one pic I can't tell as all I see is camouflage!!!
    Chris is spot on! The camo pic is a pic of a pontoon getting the living daylights bitten out of it by the infamous "black fly's" - all you need to add is a blue shirt and that'll really attract those little buggers
    Check your knots!

Thank you Chris; Herman and myself was discussing this morning that you will reply promptly - as always we can rely on you to ID these little buggers.

I made the same ID, but Andrew (X- Laxtons) did not agree back then - hence why I was unsure if I had it correct.

Unfortunately (or FORTUNATELY) I didn't see any of these this morning, so no new macro pics. Was great to be out on the water with two seasoned pros... thank you guys, and also thank you for getting me to try a different venue Next time I will also bring a few draughts!

As for the fishing - nothing to report - again misty, no sun, chilly, very few to no hatches (I did see 3 caddis for the entire morning) - there were hundreds of muddies in the rapids, tailing. I even tried them but couldn't even foul hook 1

Early morning there were some MASSIVE barbel feeding on top - I should have gone for them...

Reports Herman received indicated tough fishing.

Got to try my newest fly from the vice, simplified caddis pupae (Gary LaFontaine) - it really looks great in the water and will certainly perform when the time comes.

Sorry you guys didn't catch anything but at least from the phone call it sounded like you had a fun day out!

As they say, a day's fishing - even fishless.. - especially drinking someone else's beer - sure beats the hell out of sitting at home!

I'm just sorry my leg's still a bit messed but hopefully I will be able to make a trip next week!

Next Stithians bash I'n thinking about Thursday week will send summat out during this week

Cheers
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Fished the ol Fish Eagles today with my boet and between us we
    managed 14.

Loads of Caddis still doing the rounds.Light green to olive to dark olive plus some curry heads too.

Temp was 17.5 on 3 occasions when I measured.

Patience Patience Patience and u had a "on dad"
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 09-05-09 at 09:24 PM.

Default What time was fish caught?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Fished the ol Fish Eagles today with my boet and between us we
    managed 14.

Loads of Caddis still doing the rounds.Light green to olive to dark olve plus some curry heads too.

Temp was 17.5 on 3 occasions when I measured.

Patience Patience Patience and u had a "on dad"
    Well done. What time was the fish caught?

We fished 07:00 - 10:00; 10:00 - 12:00 was spent on shore

11h30 to 16h00.

Did a few samba's as well....me fishing MY chest deep water.Leke koud hoor!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    11h30 to 16h00.

Did a few samba's as well....me fishing MY chest deep water.Leke koud hoor!!!
    Aaaahhh, so it was you and your boet we saw skulking in from "forbidden territory".
    Waar is die boot ????????????

Hoekom koud kry ?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

My thanks to Barend and Andrew for the excellent company yesterday.
    The fishing was k@k and we were driven off by the cold wind at 10:00.
    Gerrit hit the right time 'cos by 12:00 it was turning into a pleasant afrernoon.
    Today has been a damned cold day in the Vaal Triangle, again the sun only peeped through at around midday.
    Winter, she is here.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 117 of 635 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 167 217 617 ... LastLast