Page 532 of 635 FirstFirst ... 32 432 482 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 582 632 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,320 of 6346

Thread: Vaal River Update

It also depends on our definition of better visibility. You might be referring to largemouth capable visibility, which surely we wont get in a week or two. Im referring to a change from 15cm to 25cm which can make a huge difference in smallmouth fishing.

Fishing yesterday was even better than the previous two weekends - the warm spell is helping I think. I started fishing at Elgro at about 2 yesterday and caught 10 yellows before I left at just after 5. No big ones - biggest about 1.5kgs. With the warm spell going on until Sunday the fishing might be great this weekend. Unbelievable that its May and Im still catching yellows in the rapids.

What also gives you confidence is to see yellows take egg laying caddis on the surface in or just below the rapids - then you know they are there. Saw some big ones jumping completely out of the water.

Tiaan, ons almal weet jyt niks gevang nie want jyt gele en Vikings kyk en nie gaan visvang nie....hahahahaha....all jokes aside....ek love dit om te hoor hoe die manne blank en sukkel maar dat jy elke keer net beter en beter visvang...come somer, winter, lengte, herfs...the best day to go fishing always ends with a Y....as jy confidence het gaan jy visvang...period...sekere kondisies is verseker moeiliker om in te vang...maar die vis MOET eet...hoe sterker die stroom...hoe meer energie word gebruik...hoe meer moet geeet word, vis is koud bloedig, so ja hulle raak stadiger soos die water kouer raak, MAAR hulle het nogsteeds nodig om te eet sodat hulle lywe nie in shut down mode in gaan nie....hy gaan dalk nie so greetig "chase" nie maar as die vlieg op die regte plek is en dis die moeite werd vir hom om dit te eet (energy expelsion vs reward) dan sal hy. Wat te veel ouens vergeet is dat 'n vis se ouderdom nie in jare gemeet kan word nie. A fish only has a certain amount of heart beats in it's life. The colder the water the older the fish becomes as a result of this. Colder water slows down the heart rate, the longer the timelapse before the next beat the longer the heart beats will last. This is a FACT. Studies have been conducted and proved this to be true. A bass (excuse my limited fish vocabulary as I am refering to a bass once again) in warmer regions have been proven to have a lifespan of no more than than lets say 7 years give or take depending on the average water temp. The same studies were conducted in much colder regions with the same species obtaining life spans of over 12 years.

Why should you care for a trophy fish so much? The odds are staggering for a fish to grow to that size. Lets say a hatch is successfull and 80 fish for every 2000 eggs hatch. After that there is predation, natural disasters etc...human intervention...pollution, and this stupid alien invasive species bollocks. And then also genes that play one of the most important roles of producing a trophy sized fish. Your chances of catching that record fish has less odds than you winning the lotto. Top put this into perspective and how big fishing really is, take your typical game at loftus. Rugby is supposedly the biggest sport or the most coveted in South Africa. Less than 70% of those spectators have ever even held a rugby ball. 90+% of them have held a fishing rod

As jy die ergste kondisies brave en jy is gellukig genoeg om jou offering te kan laat natuurlik lyk en voor een se neus kry GAAN hy hom chow...gaan vang vis en geniet dit...los die ander manne om met hulle scientific theories te deal en te top in die huis....mense is te genuig om te vergeet dat vis...maak nie saak watse spesie dit is nie net twee switches in hulle klein breintjies het...eet en n#@i = survival..one cause....goed is soos duiwe...al die manne wat "dink" hulle ken van maak dit baie meer complicated as wat dit regtig is....hou jy net aan fish en hou aan pics stuur...

Groete...
    Jou tjommie wat crocs op mense se voete wil ban...

The worst day on the water is better than the best day at the office...blanks of te not...elke vis het 'n prys...e meen 'n fly...
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Haha emjay - catching yellows in the rapids will surely end one of these weekends. It happened last year too - you pitch up one day and its so cold that there is NOTHING, no fish visible, no takes nothing. Im just super stoked that its going so late in this year. I checked my photos from last year and last time we caught good with summer style fishing was 8 April. And also maybe they go deeper but as soon as the weather is sunny and warm they come back shallow for a few days.

I agree 100% about getting the fly in front of its nose and it will take it. In winter with dirty water on the vaal thats been super tough for me though. But I have an expert that will teach me this winter.

If it wasnt for vikings I wouldve been at elgro much earlier - but game of thrones still rule.

In a nutshell is mense baie meer geworry oor kondisies as wat actually in die vis se kop aangaan...ons is creatures of habbit..dink altyd as ons al die dinge wat natuur na ons gooi toe kan comprehend dan sal dit opmaak vir ons eie tekortkominge op die water...worry oor die vis en hoe hulle eet...dis al...en hop net dat die barometer nie ape sh#t gaan nie...op of af..en even dan byt die vis soms beter en mens het geen wetenskaplike rede om op terug te val nie..natuur kan net soveel bepaal...

Hou net aan visvang kerels en hou op worry oor die natuur...wil julle vis of wolke en weer vang want soos sommige mense aangaan sou mens sweer ons try die weer en kondisies vang en nie die vis nie...hoeveel keer het julle ouens al gegan op die beste dag denkbaar en nie so goed gevang nie..en vice versa...hoeveel mense het al gaan visvang om 'n k@k dag en een van die epicste dae van hulle lewe gehad...

Brave it all...ons is hengelaars kerels...ons is vissermanne...nie geoligists en wetenskaplikes nie...as mens die selle tyd aan die visvang self bestee en meer gereeld lyne in die water kry implaas van om tyd te mors op wat weather SA se en vistanks etc dop te hou en vir die maan soos 'n wolf te staar of redes kry om nie te gaan hengel nie hoe meer vis sal almal vang...
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

loool agreed...I agree Yella, no fish will ever be in the same spot year round...they go where it is most comfy and rich in food and woman...such as in Vikings and Game of thrones....they arent much different to our voor faders lol...if you can pin that underwater bar...you are in for a treat...look I am not saying it will be easy...BUT if you persevere and get in that lucky cast you will catch a fish..no matter what the conditions or species...a fish is more basic than a bettery and we tend to forget them...think of them as a 9v suare battery with two poles on the nose...positive and negative...same is with fish..only in their case it's eet en n@#i...= survival of the species...

Go catch the yllows boytjie...may the vaal be with you...eeerrr..force or whatever...lol

Viz was nice at elgro today but fishing was harder. Caught some beauties though.

DSCN0760 (Medium).jpg

DSCN0766 (Medium).jpg
    Last edited by yella; 04-05-14 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    Viz was nice at elgro today but fishing was harder. Caught some beauties though.

DSCN0760 (Medium).jpg

DSCN0766 (Medium).jpg
    Hi yella.

Nice pics. Thanks for inviting me to join you guys yesterday, those two are good fish for late season.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post

DSCN0760 (Medium).jpg

DSCN0766 (Medium).jpg
    Great going there Yella.
    Did you measure the water temp at all? I know that the Lodge used to measure the temp daily and post it on the blackboard outside the office.
    I have seen the water temp at Elgro to be 22 on 2nd May about 7 years ago.
    The water temp at GVP on Friday last week at 07:00 was 15.6 deg.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi Herman I didnt measure it, but it wasnt very cold, we waded without waders and it was completely OK.

Page 532 of 635 FirstFirst ... 32 432 482 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 582 632 ... LastLast