Page 1 of 618 123456789101151101501 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 6172

Thread: Vaal River Update

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,319

    Default Vaal River Update

    I thought that for once we would follow the Slaaaaapenaaars and post one thread for updates on the guys fishing on the Vaal.

    Took Shamwari for his second Vaal outing to Strome today. Flows were around 40 ( guestimate ) so did not pull the Noah trick. Even though Shamwari is young and fit rowing back upstream for 3k's against those flows would have been cruel.
    The good news is that Shamwari has NOT blanked on his first 2 trips to the Vaal. He got about 4 yellows and his VERY FIRST muddie today. A nice specimen of 1.9kg, on a 4# noggal. ( I'll leave it to him to post the pic's, which I hope he does, just so that you all can see that GRIN .)
    Flies that worked: Orange PTN hotspot, FB nymph, and dark olive rockworm.
    All in all a very pleasant morning.

    Also nice to meet another forumer, Gerhard aka "Flashback" ( I hope I got that right ). He actually got me thinking about a WINTER Vaal 8?. at Strome, floatation devices, boats etc a MUST plus bloody warm clothes.
    Dry fly fishing ONLY for SM, other OK for LM.
    And you all say ??????????????
    Last edited by Herman Jooste; 30-03-08 at 03:56 PM.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I thought that for once we would follow the Slaaaaapenaaars and post one thread for updates on the guys fishing on the Vaal.

    Took Shamwari for his second Vaal outing to Strome today. Flows were around 40 ( guestimate ) so did not pull the Noah trick. Even though Shamwari is young and fit rowing back upstream for 3k's against those flows would have been cruel.
    The good news is that Shamwari has NOT blanked on his first 2 trips to the Vaal. He got about 4 yellows and his VERY FIRST muddie today. A nice specimen of 1.9kg, on a 4# noggal. ( I'll leave it to him to post the pic's, which I hope he does, just so that you all can see that GRIN .)
    Flies that worked: Orange PTN hotspot, FB nymph, and dark olive rockworm.
    All in all a very pleasant morning.

    Also nice to meet another forumer, Gerhard aka "Flashback" ( I hope I got that right ). He actually got me thinking about a WINTER Vaal 8?. at Strome, floatation devices, boats etc a MUST plus bloody warm clothes.
    Dry fly fishing ONLY for SM, other OK for LM.
    And you all say ??????????????
    I say yes!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Parys, Free State
    Posts
    10,038

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I thought that for once we would follow the Slaaaaapenaaars and post one thread for updates on the guys fishing on the Vaal.

    Took Shamwari for his second Vaal outing to Strome today. Flows were around 40 ( guestimate ) so did not pull the Noah trick. Even though Shamwari is young and fit rowing back upstream for 3k's against those flows would have been cruel.
    The good news is that Shamwari has NOT blanked on his first 2 trips to the Vaal. He got about 4 yellows and his VERY FIRST muddie today. A nice specimen of 1.9kg, on a 4# noggal. ( I'll leave it to him to post the pic's, which I hope he does, just so that you all can see that GRIN .)
    Flies that worked: Orange PTN hotspot, FB nymph, and dark olive rockworm.
    All in all a very pleasant morning.

    Also nice to meet another forumer, Gerhard aka "Flashback" ( I hope I got that right ). He actually got me thinking about a WINTER Vaal 8?. at Strome, floatation devices, boats etc a MUST plus bloody warm clothes.
    Dry fly fishing ONLY for SM, other OK for LM.
    And you all say ??????????????
    Thanks for the report
    Gerrit Viljoen

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I say yes!
    That's 2 in 10 minutes.

    BTW kickboats/tubes etc. wil be fine as the flows SHOULD be around 8 - 10 cumecs. I,m looking forward to this already. OB'S by the GALLON, COFFEEE by the gallon, OMR's hip flask. Yeahh Baby
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    That's 2 in 10 minutes.

    BTW kickboats/tubes etc. wil be fine as the flows SHOULD be around 8 - 10 cumecs. I,m looking forward to this already. OB'S by the GALLON, COFFEEE by the gallon, OMR's hip flask. Yeahh Baby
    I'll have to organise an Ark somewhere...this winter, it's me and some venues and some largies / big smallies....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vandia Grove, Gauteng
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    All sounds good, well done and roll on winter OV!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

    Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    All sounds good, well done and roll on winter OV!
    The trees around here are wearing their beutifull late autumn yellow already. Be ready for an early winter There again nature does not lie
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,534

    Default

    Beautiful time of the year this hey? I love it!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,292
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    The trees around here are wearing their beutifull late autumn yellow already. Be ready for an early winter There again nature does not lie
    Miss the autumnal change in the UK always beautiful,was in Massachusetts New England in the Autumn on holiday in 97 one of the great sites of the natural world.

    Just so the thread stays on track,what are the flows lke in the Douglas AREA or is it slow water there..looking forward to seeing Shamwaris fish..
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.


    [T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Flies that worked: Orange PTN hotspot, FB nymph, and dark olive rockworm.
    What size hooks did you use?

Page 1 of 618 123456789101151101501 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •