Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Introductions from PE

in my Grahamstown days there used to be very good Bass angling in Alicedale Dam .. does this still exist???
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

HI Jasper,

I have heard about this dam, but never found anyone interested to go look see with me.

Hey! Bruno, have you fished Lakefarm? Plenty of carp and bass right on your doorstep. Outskirts of P.E., near Colleen Glen.

Dave

I fished Alicedale Dam once, the water was green and unattractive, didn't catch any bass, only barbel. Never went back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    Scythe, Sandriver Dam is on the other side (inland side) of the hill from Van Stadens river.
    Thanks Kev, I was thinking when I fished Van Staden's mouth that it would be fun to do a recce down by the old bridge, never ot around to it though.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Groendal is a huge dam with large & smallmouth bass.
    Lekker, whereabouts is it ?

Loerie was nice and muddy when I was there a month ago, a leftover from the rains the previous weeks/months. Saw a MASSIVE monitor lizard in the black waters of a pool in the trib that flows into Loerie.

Was looking for access to the Kouga/Paul Sauer dam too at one stage, picked up a few under the dam wall in some of the stagnant pools there.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

HI Jasper,

I have heard about this dam, but never found anyone interested to go look see with me.

Hey! Bruno, have you fished Lakefarm? Plenty of carp and bass right on your doorstep. Outskirts of P.E., near Colleen Glen.

Dave
    Hi Poppernel,
    We actually live quite close to LakeFarm. Did not know fishing was that good up there.
    Will try it this weekend if possible. Can take the kids out there as well.

Thanks.
    B

HI,

You have to come via Uitenhage to get to Groendal (about 20 odd km), very scenic dam. I have even seen a leopard come to drink while fishing on my kickboat. Old Samuel says he has met a few as well on his way to town on his bicycle. I bet he popped a wheely all the way. He he.

Dave

Default PRIYATE dam near Graaff-Reinet

Hey Bruno,

Eye these fish I and the local guys caught and released in this dam. The smallest one was 2.8 kg, and was his first fish ever over 1kg.

The others exceeded 3.5kg, with the largest 4.1kg (71cm)

Unbelievable fish from the middle of the Karoo there Dave. Well done on your initiative in finding these waters and stocking them. I'm not completely surprised though, there are some tall mountains between Graaff Reinet and Somerset East (Winterburg I think?). And I believe there are still trout in a couple of rivers there.

HI,

You have to come via Uitenhage to get to Groendal (about 20 odd km), very scenic dam. I have even seen a leopard come to drink while fishing on my kickboat. Old Samuel says he has met a few as well on his way to town on his bicycle. I bet he popped a wheely all the way. He he.

Dave
    Thanks for the information Dave!
    I will try Groendal for sure.
    Do you perhaps have GPS co-ordinates for the dam? These days it is quite handy to have.

I will let you know how lake farm went this weekend- if we get around to it.

Cheers.
    Bruno

Default Middle of karoo

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    Unbelievable fish from the middle of the Karoo there Dave. Well done on your initiative in finding these waters and stocking them. I'm not completely surprised though, there are some tall mountains between Graaff Reinet and Somerset East (Winterburg I think?). And I believe there are still trout in a couple of rivers there.
    HI kevin,

These waters are more Murraysburg direction, situated in the Sneeuberg mountain range, which actually falls into the Western Province area.

The trout here are not fed, and have to deal with all natural enemies.

Dave

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast