Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mooi Moth .......tying instructions

The wings were Mallard primary quill slips, the flank feathers are usually referred to as Bronze Mallard over here, I'll modify the dressing to stop any further confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Gerrit, check with Chris williams. If memory serves me correctly, he did a bit of research into the Mooi moth at one stage.
    Good memory! One of my friends is bringing out a book shortly incorporating this topic, let him tell you more when 'Mr X's' book's published, should be a winner!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    A slight variation that I'll be using in a Danica hatch.
    Never having seen one of these in the flesh I had to go off the picture in a book, to me the wings are on backwards (it's how they were in the book) if you know the pattern and they are please let me know and I'll re-do it.

Hook: Dry Fly
    Tails: Blue Dun (I used Coq de Leon)
    Body: Stripped herl quill from the eye
    Wing: Mallard primary quill slips
    Hackle: Blue Dun

Start thread and tie in tails.

Tie in and mount wings.

Make a tapered body with the thread.

Tie in stripped quill.

Take the first two wraps using your fingers (gives you more control and less likely to snap) then use hackle pliers. wind to just before wing.

Tie in and wrap hackle, tie off whip finish and varnish.
    Yeah nice one Tango, we don't get the big Danica or Vulgata down here, mainly the smaller what-you'd-call 'olives' (mainly baetis this side but we get a few other families). The Mooi Moth is IMHO a generic pattern for what you'd generally call BWO's or iron blue duns. Great searching pattern especially in more acidic waters which we generally have down here. I lived for a while in Shropshire and used this on the Welsh border streams and rivers for the little brownies and occasional grayling. By the way I supported Shrewsbury Town and I thought Chester was part of Scotland...!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Brilliantly tied Tango, well done! The IBD in #16 and smaller is one of my favourite 'go to' flies when small non descript (invisible) hatches come off the Cape streams and the fish start rising all around your fly. When all else fails, the IBD very often does the trick. I'm never without a few in my fly box.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 05-04-08 at 11:26 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    I lived for a while in Shropshire and used this on the Welsh border streams and rivers for the little brownies and occasional grayling.
    I fish the Welsh Dee and its tribs, I look forward to this taking a few good grayling this year when the olive hatch is on. I'll also be fishing the Avon during the Danica hatch and I'll expect it to take a few fish then also.

I'll put an olive imitaion on that is lethal when they are taking emergers, I had 70% of my fish to this last year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2