Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mustard Caddis

Default Mustard Caddis

This is probably one of the most useful flies and best taker on the Vaal, but at the same time it is almost impossible to give a tying sequence of this fly since there are so many variations out there, each angler with his own secret recipe to entice the fish!

What I'm trying to do with the flies I post is to make them as simple as possible, getting the novice (that word again) to go "That doesn't seem hard at all!" and go buy a vice and start tying. Every single fly out there can be made very complicated with added bling, but I aim to keep it as simple as possible for the novice.

Once you mastered a fly you will find yourself changing it to your needs, so with that taken care of, lets begin?

Category: SM Yellowfish
    Imitates: Allow me to quote someone:
    "The Mustard Caddis is, I believe, a Horst Filter pattern. While imitations of caddis larvae are "ten a penny", what sets this one apart from the rest, and is undoubtedly one of its fish-catching secrets, is the colour." - Ian Couryer

Hook - #12-16 Scud hook
    Thread - Brown 6/0
    Weight - Optional brass, tungsten bead, lead wraps
    Body - Mustard Chenille (small or medium)
    Head/Thorax - Any dark coloured dubbing, in this case dark brown
    Extra - Mono filament (0.20 mm at the thickest), Ginger Scud Back

Step 1

Prepare your hook and tie in the mono filament. Do this properly all along the length of the hook shank since the nature of the line makes it very easy to slip out, and since this holds your material in place, your whole fly will come undone. Give it a tug to see if it is tied in securely.
    Most other people will use copper wire instead of the line, it's up to you. I have tied them both ways and had equal success on both, I just fancy the mono filament more.
    Use a line of suitable diameter to fit the hook size.

Step 2

Tie in the Scud Back and center it properly.

Step 3

Tie in the chenille. Strip the fibers from the tip of the chenille and tie down the bare, stripped piece. This will help in preventing a lump forming from overlapping chenille.

Step 4

In neat touching turns, wind the chenille tightly on the shank. We do not want a bulky, fat fly, so wind it nice and tight on the hook.

Step 5

Bring the Scud Back over and tie it down. Be careful, the Scud Back is made from elastic plastic, so make sure you tie it in properly or it will pull out. You will get it after a few practice turns! If you struggle to keep it in place then whip finish it into place once, that should hold it down.
    Last edited by MyWorld; 04-04-08 at 02:55 AM.

Step 6

Wind the mono filament (copper wire) in the opposite direction to which you wound the chenille. This will tie it down nicely. Make sure to create neat little segments to imitate the segments on a caddis larvae. Tie the line down and trim excess.

Step 7

Spin a thin noodle of the dubbing for the head/thorax and whip finish.

Step 8

All done!

Like I said in the beginning, this is as simple as it gets! Here is a secret weapon of mine, the body tied with dubbing!

Last edited by MyWorld; 05-04-08 at 03:57 AM. Reason: The last hideous error of the rib around the hook tip...

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Thanks for the great fly, JJ. And may I say, those are excellent photo's!! I simply don't manage to keep them in focus that close. I will definitely give this one a try too.

Kind regards,
    PTN

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    Like I said in the beginning, this is as simple as it gets! Here is a secret weapon of mine, the body tied with dubbing!

It is a very simple pattern and is effective, but I note that in your other pattern you also dont put any additional lead into the fly, why?

and I hate to do this, but the pic I coppied the ribbing is around the tip of the hook... sorry...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Well spotted Max.

But they are still great pics, especialy the one where the mono seems to have a glow of it's own.

As for lead underbodies, I think the point was to keep it simple and adding the lead underbody can seem a bit ......, I like to tie with and without lead as well as beads for different wheights.

I also agree that mustard on the vaal is like magic (not all the time), same as green/olive rock worms. Bread and butter....
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Thanks! Great fly - nevermind the ribbing around the hook tip - for illustration purposes your sequence is extremely usefull and your photography worthy of a Pulitzer. I've been struggling my ass off to get mustard chenille or mustard coloured dubbing from Solly's in PTA - maybe I'll try Angling Africa the week-end. Would anyone consider tying in flash above the head/thorax?

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Thanks! Great fly - nevermind the ribbing around the hook tip - for illustration purposes your sequence is extremely usefull and your photography worthy of a Pulitzer. I've been struggling my ass off to get mustard chenille or mustard coloured dubbing from Solly's in PTA - maybe I'll try Angling Africa the week-end. Would anyone consider tying in flash above the head/thorax?
    Mario,I'll score u a free packet of Pumpkin Rabbit Dubbing,about 3 quarters full.Let me know when ur at Sollies again.U'll be able to tie 30 odd flies

Sorry Mario

It is my fault. Every time they have mustard i buy it all for myself and some other vaal shuffelers....

I think i have some left, let me know when you are going near sollies again and i will see what i can do ( i live 2km away).
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    It is a very simple pattern and is effective, but I note that in your other pattern you also dont put any additional lead into the fly, why?

and I hate to do this, but the pic I coppied the ribbing is around the tip of the hook... sorry...
    Very well spotted! I had to go take a look at the fly again to make sure, and there it is, the ribbing coming loose...

I do use lead, but atm I'm experimenting with very heavy control flies, so half my mustard caddis' is tied with lead and half not.

BTW, I'm open for criticism, I'm always willing to learn and improve!

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post

If a caddis pupa is allowed a gold head, let the poor guy enjoy his G-string as well!

Nice fly, Myworld!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast