Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mayfly pics esp. Machadorythidae

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Ghillie View Post
    I'd love to help, but I'm none of those things.
    I do have Bob Crass's old Mayfly monograms, but they were done in the 1940's -50's and though he makes mention of a couple of trico's, the graphics are just line drawings. there is a T. negrensis (black trico mayfly)... but its genital process is not defined with such ezquisite detail.
    Thanks Mr Ghillie
    Could you give me more details on the Crass Monograms so I can try and source a copy
    Regards
    Craig

ArcherFish, I've also got some more stuff but v v v tied up with some work/domestic problems will try get back to you by the weekend

Cheers, Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

I do not know if this will help but i just found this on the internet.....it seems to have every aquatic insect and the relavent fly to match.http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=X...l=en#PPA335,M1 and the whole book is avaible to read on line,you can even blow up the images.I know that all you guys probally have the book but for those who don't what a great resource..
    Last edited by nicholas; 09-04-08 at 12:37 PM.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Thanks Mr Ghillie
    Could you give me more details on the Crass Monograms so I can try and source a copy
    That's like asking Rembrandt if he can paint a few more 'Laughing Cavaliers' for you! Bob Crass was a trout and Natal legend and gentleman!

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I do not know if this will help but i just found this on the internet.....it seems to have every aquatic insect and the relavent fly to match.http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=X...l=en#PPA335,M1 and the whole book is avaible to read on line,you can even blow up the images.I know that all you guys probally have the book but for those who don't what a great resource..
    Thanks Nicholas, have this book, but unfortunately the references are scarce, and the technical info I want seems to have been compiled "by experience" rather than from scientific literature. No mention of the Genus that I am interested in.
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    That's like asking Rembrandt if he can paint a few more 'Laughing Cavaliers' for you! Bob Crass was a trout and Natal legend and gentleman!
    I think the monograms were published by the University of Natal. There are about a dozen different papers published over a 15 year period in the 1940's-50's. All I have are incomplete photocopies of 8 or 9 of the papers. These days Bob Crass lives at Amberglen in Howick. Perhaps he could give you more precise info

Thanks for the info, Surly, I havn't seen Bob since before I moved to Oz before in late 80's. My wife's cuzzies live in Howick so next time I'm there will give him a call

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Ghillie View Post
    I think the monograms were published by the University of Natal. There are about a dozen different papers published over a 15 year period in the 1940's-50's. All I have are incomplete photocopies of 8 or 9 of the papers. These days Bob Crass lives at Amberglen in Howick. Perhaps he could give you more precise info
    Thanks Wolf, I have emailed my contact at the U rather than trying to bother Bob Crass.
    Regards
    Craig

Hi ArcherFish, if you get any joy pls lemme know?

Cheers, Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2