Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: untapped WC waters

Anyway, I always thought fishing was like horse racing - the fitter non-lame horses should be handicapped to even the odds
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Sounds interesting...
    Sounds VERY interesting!

12 weeks??? Holy Carp! I gotta get running....

How was the carp fishing this eve Chris?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Sounds VERY interesting!

Ha ha ha! Bru, those cigarette lungs are going to take strain! I think Im going to have to do the mind over matter thing...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Mind over matter? I got no problem with that.

I think by day three I will be battling with "Foot over rock"
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Sounds VERY interesting!

hahaha........now that wouldn't be a very pretty sight, but a man has got to do what a man has got to do hey

The fishing was a non event. I was hoping to see some activity to target, but the fish were down. I must say, I really don't feel very confident blind fishing in muddy carp infested waters though. On a brighter note, I am pleased to announce that the dam is overflowing and looking as pretty as ever. We must make a plan soon to get rid of those carp....by hook or by crook!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Sorry to bring this up again.

Anyone been any further up this river.Was driving around there today and got to a spot where some farmer folk said that they catch 30cm and bigger fish. found a nice spot under some brideges and eventually spoke to a farmer who gave me permission to go onto his land to follow the river. There is a nice section between trees where the river goes wider with big pools. A Bit between reeds and trees so a tube might work great. It also looks like it might be fun to follow (walk) the river further down. The river is flowing quite nicely between sections with what looks like some great pools all over. This is up as high as Atlantis side. (other side of N7 from Atlaantis)

If I can find my cable for my phone ill try to post some pics.

Even better I befriended the farmer and he gave me permission to catch along his land.

The missus isnt so keen to go to Voorhoede this weekend (no TV, go figure ) so might just go up there to check it out for the day.

Some pics of the spot

Hi Morne. I'm pleased to hear that you are exploring the potentual of the Modder. I think it is a much overlooked river. Just to wet your appetite a bit more, I caught this 3kg carp on my last visit to the river less than a year ago.
    Attachment 1512
    Attachment 1511
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 11-11-07 at 07:39 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Did some more exploring around the area today. Walked down the river a bit fishing, but had no luck. The weather was really misrable though. The farmers wife said to me that the "Springers" come all the way up the river from Rietvlei to their farm to spawn/lay eggs/mate (dont know which one ) Could this be true as it seems a really long way with some very shallow sections inbetween pools. She was very sure that her kids catches them all the time. Anyone know what time of year this would happen, and would they then be off limits?

The river is flowing quite nicely at the moment. There is some realy stunning pools there with little water falls inbetween pools.

I asked one of the local kids what kind of fish the catch there and he said "Kerrie vis meneer"
    Last edited by Morne; 26-11-07 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    The farmers wife said to me that the "Springers" come all the way up the river from Rietvlei to their farm to spawn/lay eggs/mate (dont know which one ) Could this be true as it seems a really long way with some very shallow sections inbetween pools. She was very sure that her kids catches them all the time. Anyone know what time of year this would happen, and would they then be off limits?
    That is true Morne. My dad did a lot of horseback riding in that area in the 1980's and often had springer nearly taking him off his horse while wading the shallows. As for time of year, I really couldnt say, I don't know enough about them. Why don't you become our pioneer in this regard?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11