Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Insect data base"

Default "Insect data base"

Who's got a data base for the insects that you'll find in and around the Blaauwbank and the Vaal?

Would'nt it be a good idea to have something like that?

Hi CJ

It would be a good idea, maybe all of us should get the following book:

Aquatic Invertebrates Of South African Rivers.

With this in hand start catalogueing the insects we find when fishing and have a Thread or two on here to put our discoveries on. This way we can eventually have the waters we fish in catalogued.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Cool

I'll get us going on the sci side of things.

Ephemeroptera
    Trichoptera
    Coleoptera
    Hemiptera
    Odonata
    Diptera
    Plecoptera
    Lepidoptera
    Megaloptera
    Hydracarina
    Turbellaria
    Amphipoda
    Decapoda
    Annelida
    Porifera
    Gastropoda
    Pelecypoda

Now what is that favourate saying on here? The search button bla bla
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 07-04-08 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    I'll get us going on the sci side of things.

Ephemeroptera
    Trichoptera
    Coleoptera
    Hemiptera
    Odonata
    Diptera
    Plecoptera
    Lepidoptera
    Megaloptera
    Hydracarina
    Turbellaria
    Amphipoda
    Decapoda
    Annelida
    Porifera
    Gastropoda
    Pelecypoda

Now what is that favourate saying on here?
    Hey poepol! laas toe ek ge-check het.....was jy nie fokken Grieks nie! Waar kom jy aan al die k@k? Nou moet ek 'n boek gaan koop net om te weet wat die donerse goed beteken!?

Yes, a data base would surely help when tying insect immitations. The reason for this idea came to me while fishing the Blaawbank. I was drifting a nymph underneath a willow tree when suddenly "rabobee" the worm came absailing past my nose....a small green caterpillar sliding down to the water. I think it was actualy aiming for the grass bank, but master wind gooied it a pit! I saw a few dead ones on the water and the large scales was casualy sipping them of the surface.

I'll edit the list later ie English names and u folk can search further.

This is just an indication people.I have it on good accord(sp) from my source that u get 13 distinct Mayfly(Ephemeroptera)species,9 of which occur in Southern Afrique.

Later

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Hey poepol! laas toe ek ge-check het.....was jy nie fokken Grieks nie! Waar kom jy aan al die k@k? Nou moet ek 'n boek gaan koop net om te weet wat die donerse goed beteken!?

Yes, a data base would surely help when tying insect immitations. The reason for this idea came to me while fishing the Blaawbank. I was drifting a nymph underneath a willow tree when suddenly "rabobee" the worm came absailing past my nose....a small green caterpillar sliding down to the water. I think it was actualy aiming for the grass bank, but master wind gooied it a pit! I saw a few dead ones on the water and the large scales was casualy sipping them of the surface.
    Those little green worms, inch worm patterns might have worked, but not a true water insect species.

What I was thinking when reading your post CJ, is get that book, or whatever books you want, go to a river, stream or dam, collect what you get there, identify with book, photograph the gogga, and post on here in our own fly talk Insect Database - much like Wolf does every now and then.
    PK

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    Those little green worms, inch worm patterns might have worked, but not a true water insect species.

What I was thinking when reading your post CJ, is get that book, or whatever books you want, go to a river, stream or dam, collect what you get there, identify with book, photograph the gogga, and post on here in our own fly talk Insect Database - much like Wolf does every now and then.
    Yes Pieter.....but what I'm really intrested in is that goggas that live around the river (like spider worm). Not that much the ones in the river.

Yes Pieter.....but what I'm really intrested in is that goggas that live around the river (like spider worm). Not that much the ones in the river.
    nothing wrong with having such a catagory as well
    PK

The only thing to remember is that that will be extremely time and situation specific much like the Mulberries for LargeScales or Fred Steynberg with his sawfly larvae imitation.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Pretty sure those are sawfly lava and they are always a good food source to imitate when fishing in the proximity of willows. Speak to Mike (stream x mike, not albright mike) as I'm sure he would have a hot pattern imitating them as at one stage there were plenty of crack willows around rhodes/grahamstown.

And for Gerrit they are part of an order you some how missed
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast