Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Insect data base"

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    And for Gerrit they are part of an order you some how missed
    Oh well I did say " to get us going" I was quoting a book so blame DWAF No ways can I rem all those names.

Can't see anyone else contributing.....
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 07-04-08 at 03:23 PM.

Just to chuck a spanner into the works here:

I find it refreshing how you're all talking about invertibrate databases with the view to tying immitative patterns to accurately imitate what's in the water, then you revert to fishing the Hotspot Nymph.

"Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

HEY, it imitates something!

It imitates, it imitates........... you know what i mean right?!
    :P

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    HEY, it imitates something!

It imitates, it imitates........... you know what i mean right?!
    :P
    It imitates his Casemaker's cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Who's got a data base for the insects that you'll find in and around the Blaauwbank and the Vaal?

Would'nt it be a good idea to have something like that?
    FWIW I've kept a diary and notes of my observations within this area since the 1970s, with occasional overseas absences of myself if not the local insects! Some b'stard scaled my partial notes a few months back at a fly tying evening but I still have quite a few notes and diaries at home, along with annotations in various books. We were actually discussing this topic at our last Stithians flytying evening recently and I'm busy trying to recompile my subjective observations from over the years.

I certainly don't mind giving you some ideas on this when we next meet, but there's nothing to beat starting your own diary including notes on moogies and whatever else the fish are eating or appear to be eating. I think we've discussed the cheap el basics stuff you need to collect aquatic and streamside fish food elsewhere, but again can hopefully be of some assistance next time we meet.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

So there I was on Sunday at the river, first get the family organized - get the toys and stuff for the kids, get the missus chair and books ready so that I can go and brave the streams.
    I collected a few insects to photograph but the dam camera was at home so I just put it in a film canister to do it at home. When we got home, after unpacking the car I could not find the cannister. Daddy bear was getting a bit huffy puffy at this stage when my 4 year old comes to me and hands me the cannister - Her words were " Daddy is this the bottle you are looking for? I found it on your seat while you were fishing, but it was full of GOGGAS so I washed it for you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus View Post
    So there I was on Sunday at the river, first get the family organized - get the toys and stuff for the kids, get the missus chair and books ready so that I can go and brave the streams.
    I collected a few insects to photograph but the dam camera was at home so I just put it in a film canister to do it at home. When we got home, after unpacking the car I could not find the cannister. Daddy bear was getting a bit huffy puffy at this stage when my 4 year old comes to me and hands me the cannister - Her words were " Daddy is this the bottle you are looking for? I found it on your seat while you were fishing, but it was full of GOGGAS so I washed it for you!"
    Ha ha class!
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    FWIW I've kept a diary and notes of my observations within this area since the 1970s, with occasional overseas absences of myself if not the local insects! Some b'stard scaled my partial notes a few months back at a fly tying evening but I still have quite a few notes and diaries at home, along with annotations in various books. We were actually discussing this topic at our last Stithians flytying evening recently and I'm busy trying to recompile my subjective observations from over the years.

I certainly don't mind giving you some ideas on this when we next meet, but there's nothing to beat starting your own diary including notes on moogies and whatever else the fish are eating or appear to be eating. I think we've discussed the cheap el basics stuff you need to collect aquatic and streamside fish food elsewhere, but again can hopefully be of some assistance next time we meet.
    Thanks Chris, I would like to see that.

I dont mean to be funny but Joyce from DWAF is not very responsive to my e-mails regarding the purchase of "Aquatic Invertebrates of South African Rivers." Anyone know of anywhere else the books can be purchased?
    Berthu, why are you so aversive to hot spots? I have read that in the immature stages of sedge flies, there is always a spot of colour (green/amber) in the thoracic area. Dont you think that there is a possibility that when these 'coloured caddis' are around, the fish become accustomed to the trigger, and that this is why the hot spot is such an effective 'immitation?'

Quote Originally Posted by Hughmeister View Post
    I dont mean to be funny but Joyce from DWAF is not very responsive to my e-mails regarding the purchase of "Aquatic Invertebrates of South African Rivers." Anyone know of anywhere else the books can be purchased?
    Berthu, why are you so aversive to hot spots? I have read that in the immature stages of sedge flies, there is always a spot of colour (green/amber) in the thoracic area. Dont you think that there is a possibility that when these 'coloured caddis' are around, the fish become accustomed to the trigger, and that this is why the hot spot is such an effective 'immitation?'
    Hotspots are like VW Golfies! You'll find one in nearly every driveway!!!

Nearly everybody has got a few in their box! If I've red correctly, Sedge flies are family of the Caddis fly. Sorry Hugh, but I cannot see how a caddis larve compares to a hot spot. I think they immitate more the likes of a may nymph.
    The added bright orange spot is IMHO, just a trigger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast