Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: "Insect data base"

Hey man I am just telling you what I've read! What about the caddis pupa then?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Hughmeister View Post
    I dont mean to be funny but Joyce from DWAF is not very responsive to my e-mails regarding the purchase of "Aquatic Invertebrates of South African Rivers." Anyone know of anywhere else the books can be purchased?
    Berthu, why are you so aversive to hot spots? I have read that in the immature stages of sedge flies, there is always a spot of colour (green/amber) in the thoracic area. Dont you think that there is a possibility that when these 'coloured caddis' are around, the fish become accustomed to the trigger, and that this is why the hot spot is such an effective 'immitation?'
    He he ja ou Joyce from Roodeplaat Dam,I got mine from her.She even delivered the book to my office in Qtown a while back.Buy the book from netbooks.Excellent service Hugh Grant!!!!

Ps.Leave the ho's alone.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Hotspots are like VW Golfies! You'll find one in nearly every driveway!!!

Nearly everybody has got a few in their box! If I've red correctly, Sedge flies are family of the Caddis fly. Sorry Hugh, but I cannot see how a caddis larve compares to a hot spot. I think they immitate more the likes of a may nymph.
    The added bright orange spot is IMHO, just a trigger.

Howzit my china,

Sedges r Caddis and Caddis r Sedges.The Yanks like calling them Sedges,we prefer calling them caddis.Same thing with Buzzers and Midges.

Ps.I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus View Post
    Daddy is this the bottle you are looking for? I found it on your seat while you were fishing, but it was full of GOGGAS so I washed it for you!
    Daai bek verdien jam !

Quote Originally Posted by Hughmeister View Post
    Berthu, why are you so aversive to hot spots? I have read that in the immature stages of sedge flies, there is always a spot of colour (green/amber) in the thoracic area. Dont you think that there is a possibility that when these 'coloured caddis' are around, the fish become accustomed to the trigger, and that this is why the hot spot is such an effective 'immitation?'
    Hugh, yip, you can easily believe that, much like you can also easily believe the easter bunny exists or that the extra R1Billion collected by SARS did NOT come directly from your pocket.

Orange is an attractor, period. In addition to this it also looks like a nymph, so the YellowFish are going koekoes for the yummy highly visible Nymph that looks like no other nymph in the water.

You can catch fish on an orange worm, or glo bugs for trout, or pellet flies for stockies, but it's simply not cricket now is it ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Howzit my china,

Sedges r Caddis and Caddis r Sedges.The Yanks like calling them Sedges,we prefer calling them caddis.Same thing with Buzzers and Midges.

Ps.I think...
    Xzakitily!!! The are all related! I mean, I did not think "The Encyclopedia of Fishing" would tune me poeffie! (softened for our sensitive readers)

The Hotspot PTN is just an upgraded PTN.

I dont know Hugh, there's a "helse" (softened for our sensitive readers) diffirence between the two paterns. You'll see that most of the caddis pupa paterns follow a certain trend. Again, I dont see how the H PTN falls in that rigting.
    I'm not saying that you red that article like your foeffie (softened for our sensitive readers)....... but it just does'nt make sence to me.
    Last edited by C J; 08-04-08 at 02:08 PM.

All apologies to Joyce this time round!
    I sure did not read it like my whatchamacallit...in fact I checked again!
    I am also proud to say that if I know anything at all, I know that a caddis is a sedge. Terms are pretty much mutually exclusive.

Yup, the original PTN as tied by Sawyer, was in fact a mayfly imitative pattern, then a orange thorax was added and we got to out treasured go to fly for yellows.

Question to Mr. Scythe, do you tie mayfly imitations that contains flash in them? If you dislike hot spots due to the edition of orange or other coloured hotspots stop using flash, and don't come with the "it creates the illusion of trapped bubbles in the emerging mays" it may just do that but if you want to truely be a purist then use dubbing that will trap real air bubbles.

I can't say I use true hotspot PTN anymore, but I still use variations of the same. They work therefore I use them, just like I don't particularly like wooly buggers, but they work therefore I will use them.

Chris W - I would love to see your notes, I am sure it will be an eyeopener for the likes of me.

Generally I still thing getting a thread or two together with pics and notes on the insects we find fish feeding on where ever we fish cannot harm and will surely help us to look harder.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    ... it may just do that but if you want to truely be a purist
    I never said anything about being a purist and I don't see how flashback is in any way similar to bright dayglo orange UV ICE dub

use dubbing that will trap real air bubbles.
    It's called CDC

Generally I still thing getting a thread or two together with pics and notes on the insects we find fish feeding on where ever we fish cannot harm and will surely help us to look harder.
    Would also help to include date and time, certain species only hatch/emerge in certain weeks. I know the guys overseas have fairly detailed databases built up over years pertaining to the invertibrates in specific rivers, nothing as large as the Vaal, but still, could be a nice 5-10yr project.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Would also help to include date and time, certain species only hatch/emerge in certain weeks. I know the guys overseas have fairly detailed databases built up over years pertaining to the invertibrates in specific rivers, nothing as large as the Vaal, but still, could be a nice 5-10yr project.
    That why I like gunning at you, you can always take it as it comes.

As for date and time, should we try to do this yes you must not only grab a gogga photograph it nude and publish You will have to grab the gogga photograph, not time of day, time of year, do a bit of research to gets his family, order etc and this all together we can get out some good data on them goggas
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

That why I like gunning at you, you can always take it as it comes.

As for date and time, should we try to do this yes you must not only grab a gogga photograph it nude and publish You will have to grab the gogga photograph, not time of day, time of year, do a bit of research to gets his family, order etc and this all together we can get out some good data on them goggas
    How will this work, start a new tread.....or.....start a new main heading?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3