Thread: "Spietkop" Fly - Tying instructions

Default "Spietkop" Fly - Tying instructions

SPIETKOP (Traffic Cop) FLY

This fly can be deadly on trout, largemouth yellows, bass, and even barbel and carp. In my mind, it's more of a baitfish imitation, but can double as a funky dragonfly nymph imitation.

MATERIALS:

HOOK: Grip #13812, Streamer hook, size #6 (Or suitable substitute, can be tied smaller, and even bigger)
    WEIGHT: (If required) 0.015 lead wraps
    BEAD HEAD: Size 4 brass or tungsten bead (Select bead to suit hook size)
    THREAD: 6/0 Danville, Black
    TAIL: Black marabou
    FLASH: (In tail) Royal Blue Krystal Flash
    FLASH: (Alongside body) Electric Blue Flashabou
    RIB: Copper Wire
    UNDERBODY: Peacock Dubbing
    OVERBODY: Peacock Herl
    HACKLE: Black saddle hackle

TYING INSTRUCTIONS:

STEP 1: Debard the hook, slip bead onto hook, mount hook in vise. Then add the lead wire for weight, if required.

STEP 2: Start your thread, and secure the lead wraps as shown.

STEP 3: Tie in a clump of marabou feathers, rather sparce than too much, about the length of the hook shank. Secure and cut off the excess. Pinch the marabou to length (do not just cut it).

STEP 4: Tie in two strands of blue Krystal Flash on each side of the marabou. They must be the length of the tail. Also tie in a length of copper wire on the one side as shown.

STEP 5: Tie in a strand of blue Flashabou on each side of the fly, facing back.

STEP 6: Tie in about 4 or 5 peacock herls by the tips, secure and trim the excess.

STEP 7: Spin a thin noodle of peacock dubbing onto the thread.

Continued below...

STEP 8: Wind the dubbing noodle to the front, and try to get a uniformly shaped body.

STEP 9: Twist the peacock hearls into a rope (be gentle, otherwise they will break off), and wind forward around the body to the front. Secure down and trim the excess.

STEP 10: Pull each strand of blue flashabou forward, and tie in. Secure and trim the excess. make sure the strands are in the middle of the body on each side. To me this may represent the lateral line on a little baitfish. (Or just adds more triggers! Either way, it's a nice touch).

STEP 11: Tie in a black saddle hackle just behind the bead head, with the dull side facing the fly and slightly backwards. Do not trim the stem! (It case it slips a bit)

STEP 12: Wind the feather around the body as shown, backwards. When you get to the end...take the copper wire and wind it twice around the hook shank, so securing the hackle tip down. (I used my fingers here to wind the feather backwards, but it's best to use hackle pliers...it won't slip as easy while winding the feather around the body).

STEP 13: Now wind the copper wire forward, and wiggle the wire from side to side while winding it around the body, so doing not trapping any of the hackle fibers down. Secure the copper wire just behind the bead head. Now you can cut off the feather stem, and trim the wire. Whip finish, and apply some head cement to the thread wraps.

The finished fly. You can also put in some rubber legs if required, for added attraction. I just find this fly to be deadly as is. Tie it with no weight, or medium, or heavy weight...to suit different depths of fishing.

Regards
    Mike

Nice tie and lovely Photos Mike!

I've added it to most sections on the Index because as you say, this fly will catch anything! I know guys in Natal that use it in the gulleys for saltwater species too (I did not add it to that section though).
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Nice tie and lovely Photos Mike!

I've added it to most sections on the Index because as you say, this fly will catch anything! I know guys in Natal that use it in the gulleys for saltwater species too (I did not add it to that section though).
    Hmm, didn't know the salties used it too! But that's the wooly bugger type fly for you...can fool anything I suppose tied in various colours!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    SPIETKOP (Traffic Cop) FLY

STEP 2: Start your thread, and secure the lead wraps as shown.
    Hi Mike

Nice fly, excuse my ignorance but why do you add your weight in the middle of the hook shank as per the photo above? Do you want the fly to swim flat and horizontal?

Your comment?
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Mine are very similar except that I use medium cactus chenille, Black/olive: Black/green: Beetroot for the body. I don't palmer the whole body, hust a nice bushy hackle behind the bead.
    Another variation is to use a Zonker strip instead of the marabou for the tail.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Hi Mike

Nice fly, excuse my ignorance but why do you add your weight in the middle of the hook shank as per the photo above? Do you want the fly to swim flat and horizontal?

Your comment?
    That's correct Liam, to swim straight...no jigging motion, etc.

Could you please update the pics?

Thanks Michael!

Why no pickies? MAybe my old b/berry. I can usually see the pickies. BTW happy new year to all who have been so kind to me since I joined. You deserve a brilliant year on the waters of our land.