Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deadly stillwater tactics and secrets

Snag2.jpg

Snag.jpg

Hi Shawn. This is all it is....scraggly tufts of marabu under a piece of neoprene or closed cell rubber. It works incredibly well....lots of movement! My first attempts of the 'Snag' (snail on grass) were tied to resemble the real thing more closely, where i fashioned the rubber into a conical shape, and sometimes made two or three cones to look like a cluster of snails, but i find that the recipe depicted works just as well. Really quick and easy to tie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Snag2.jpg

Snag.jpg

Hi Shawn. This is all it is....scraggly tufts of marabu under a piece of neoprene or closed cell rubber. It works incredibly well....lots of movement! My first attempts of the 'Snag' (snail on grass) were tied to resemble the real thing more closely, where i fashioned the rubber into a conical shape, and sometimes made two or three cones to look like a cluster of snails, but i find that the recipe depicted works just as well. Really quick and easy to tie!
    Chris,

I think they eat this thing to stop it breeding

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

hahaha.....brilliant Darryl! I think you have just come up with the ultimate solution for why they take the snail so viciously!

Incidentally, I posted a pic of a text book version under shared flies, one that wouldn't look too out of place in a fly box, however, personally I prefer my more scraggly variety.

Tony Biggs would be proud of me!

Thanks Chris, very very interesting indeed. Will be sure to tie up a few and give them a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    hahaha.....brilliant Darryl! I think you have just come up with the ultimate solution for why they take the snail so viciously!

Incidentally, I posted a pic of a text book version under shared flies, one that wouldn't look too out of place in a fly box, however, personally I prefer my more scraggly variety.

Tony Biggs would be proud of me!
    ;-) Yup, I also prefer scraggly flies, seem to catch more fish for me. Out of interest does Tony still fish ? I last saw him tying a RAB at cps (about a year ago I think) and from what he was saying it didn't seem that he was fishing anymore ?

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Hi Darryl

Tony has been out of it for a while, following some serious set backs in his private life a few years ago, which led to some serious depression. I spoke to him two weeks ago and he seems to be a lot better. He is in the process of having a custom built cane rod made to his specifications by a local rod builder as we speak. I hope to be sharing a bit of private brown trout water with him again soon.

I read an article a while ago in the TCFF about UK anglers that used to take a length of hosepipe with when fishing.

The reason was that when the trout are eating snails, it causes them endless intestinal problems and if you stick the hosepipe under the surface and listen through it, you can hear the groaning sounds of their intestinal movements.

Not sure if that's true or not but if so I'd love to know who figured that one out!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Sounds like they read my article in the Piscator Grant

Hmmm - Perhaps it was there that I read it, rather than TCFF then.

Apologies for not giving you the credit!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

hehe...no credit necessary Grant. Try the fly though.....it is deadly, i promise you!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast