Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fly lines

Default Fly lines

Hi I need some info on cleaning fly lines what must I use to clean my lines before I use it,and how often should I clean it.

I bought a Loon Outdoors product (years ago) called Fast Cast, line cleaner and tensioner. It has lasted me years and I use it after every 3 outings on a line, or when the line is dirty.

I use Loon Line Speed which cleans, conditions and has sunblock. Almost sounds like a shampoo add, doesn't it.
    Jacques

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

For floating lines that stuff works great. Dress after cleaning with Line Speed with Loon's Streamline for ultimate shootability.

For intermediate/sinking lines, use Loon's Sinkfast.

Agreed, they're wonderful products especially when fishing in our harsh and usually-sunny climes. The products really do add a slickness and malleability to lines
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Sean Mills came up with a terrific way of cleaning fly lines a while ago by using Mr. Min. It cleans wonderfully and the line shoots like a mother!

I have used the silicone stuff used to clean car dash boards and stuff. Really not sure if it damages the line at all but mine have not shown any form of unusual wear yet. What I do is put some of the silicone on a cloth and then run the line through it. Works for me.
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Just as an add on to cleaning lines u would want ur rod to be clean as well,right?

I got this tip a while back which works great.Many of you know this already and it's called Calzanetto.

It's a sponge that is used for many other applications like Leather furniture,upholstery,handbags and shoes.

It gives u about 50 applications and sells for about R50.It shines and cleans perfectly.

Go try it out!!!

interesting post.
    i have been doing some reading recently and this is my very subjective opinion.
    i came across an old advert from sci-ang for their ultra 2. the point they made was that with their new process there is no need to dress the line. they use something that over time self-lubricates the line.i suspect thats what AST is.

airflo use a different process, they put all the floatant in the center and then cover it with a protective cover.

so what's my point. there is nothing we can do to make a line float any higher than its already been made. what we can do is to make it slicker so that it runs through the guides smoother.
    The worst thing you can do to a line is to use a scilicon based product on a line. The ironic thing is that most of the line cleaners are scilicon based.Silicon while a water repelent attracts dirt faster than bob mugabe demanding a recount.silicon impairs the slickness as its sticky. I have seen lines that have been treated shortly thereafter begun to sink from the dirt attracted.
    i have seen this on the ridge lines as the silicon goes into the grooves and the dirt pulled it under. i'm waiting to hear the same comments about the sharkskin. i'm convinced that both lines do not need to be treated to add more floatant.
    if you have a line that has some tip sink. you can use your floatant on the first 6'/10cm to help keep it up. do not treat the entire line.

now having said this. cleaning a line should be done with mild solution of sunlight to degrease the line. then you should be using a teflon based product.products like MR Min,stp slick,turbo shoot.
    either spray it on a cloth and run the line through or use the cloth provided.

Okay......so it's looks like I have to sneak Mr Min on swambos shopping list for the end of the month and play like it's gonna be for furniture
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast