Default CDC & Elk - Step by Step

CDC & Elk

Receipe

Hook: TMC 100 #16
    Thread: Danville's 70 Denier, Brown
    Body: CDC Feather - Dark Dun
    Wing: Elk hair

Step 1:

Start your thread at the hook eye and wrap down to just above the hook barb.

Step 2:

Select a CDC feather of the shape shown in the picture below. The barbs should be roughly twice the length of the hook shank.

Step 3:

Stroke the barbs back towards the feather tip, and tie in the feather at the tip, ensuring you trap as many barbs as possible.

Step 4:

Twist the feather into a rope and wrap forward to just behind the hook eye. Stroke any loose barbs backwards to avoid trapping them as you wrap forward. Make 2 or 3 wraps to secure the feather and trim the excess.

Step 5:

Select a small bunch of Elk hair, prepare it by removing any underfur and stack it to align the tips. Lay the bunch along the top of the hook shank so that the tips just reach the back of the hook bend. Trim the butts of the hair so that they are even. Tie in using the noose method with 2 or 3 wraps over the hair, then make a wrap through the butt ends of the hair, followed by a whip finish under the butt ends. Trim thread and apply head cement.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 13-11-09 at 04:47 PM.

Default CDC & Elk

HI Shaun,

I have posted a book earlier that I have, called MAYFLIES '' Top to Bottem '' by Shane Stalcup and thought YOU would go '' Mal ''. Thats if you havent already got this one in your collection.

The flies you and the guys are posting are awesome.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI Shaun,

I have posted a book earlier that I have, called MAYFLIES '' Top to Bottem '' by Shane Stalcup and thought YOU would go '' Mal ''. Thats if you havent already got this one in your collection.

The flies you and the guys are posting are awesome.

Dave.
    Hey Dave,

Thanks a lot for the kind words. Had an absolute ball just sitting tying different flies today. I'll definitely have a look and see if I can get hold of that book, thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Shaun

Thanks for the instructions Shaun, I have heard a lot of people rave about this fly but I have never tried it.

For some reason I have resisted CDC thus far, but my thoughts are changing after an episode a few weeks ago. I was fishing to a steadily rising fish but he ignored all my dry fly presentations. After he refused the 4th dry I offered, I changed to a simple CDC fly, basically just a short CDC wing tied back on a lightly dubbed body. He took first cast. Time to find some CDC I think. Duck season soon so I'll ask a hunter mate to pluck some ducks bums for me.

Links to pics fixed.

I am kinda partial to this pattern - for those interested here is a 5 minute video clip I made on tying it:

http://www.danica.com/flytier/movies...ing/cdcelk.wmv

Please note this is a 12MB file, in .wmv format. Rather than try to stream it, I suggest the clip is downloaded and played locally.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    Last edited by Hans Weilenmann; 13-11-09 at 05:57 PM.

Hi Hans,

This little Brownie caught 2 weeks ago on the upper Bushmans river in South Africa was also pretty partial to your pattern:

The CDC and Elk is one of my favourite dry flies for streams, in fact it's probably the dry I tie on first most often.

Thanks for inventing the pattern, and welcome to the site!

Love this fly Shaun, will tie a couple.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Also one of my (go to) flies here. I have however learnt that the quality of the CDC is a vital part of the flies success. I bought a bulk pack of cdc and my flies just never "sat up" as long as others' did. Daryll tied me a fly at the Bells and he used quality grade CDC and the fly was streaks ahead of mine in floatability. (sp)
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

rols,

While using good quality CDC is certainly important, please note that I included the material more for the mobility, the "illusion of life", in imparts to the CDC&Elk. It is the deer hair wing which provides the floatability, and a small amount of paste floatant may be applied to the wing only to facilitate extended dry fly fishing fish after fish

Also note, though, that the pattern has proven very very effective fished low in the film, or sub-surface.

There is really no 'wrong' way I have found to fish this wee flee

Cheers,
    Hans

PS You may also want to check out some of the variations it has spawned, such as the Crippled CDC&Elk, the CDC&Elk Spent, CDC&Elk Emerger, Green Butt CDC&Elk, Cranefly CDC&Elk, Diving CDC&Elk and CDC&Elk Wet/Streamer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast