Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CDC & Elk - Step by Step

Good looking fly!!
    nice sbs thanks

A question : Is there a specific reason you trap the barbs and wrap as a "rope" instead of just palmering (sp) it forward and having a "bushy " fly

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

damage,

I cannot speak for Shaun, of course, but when I tie the CDC&Elk I do tie in a bunch of barbs, and I do not twist the feather to form a 'rope'.

I tie in a bunched up feather tip for two reasons. First it will result in a tough-as-nails body - I can truthfully say that ever since I started tying and fishing the pattern (1992) not a single body has come apart. Secondly I am not looking to get a 'fluffball' bushy fly - I am looking to get a dubbed-like body and a collar of free flowing barbs.

Here is a sample CDC&Elk

Cheers,
    Hans W

cool Thanks

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2