Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CDC Nymph - Step by Step

Thanks Jasper! Will have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Thanks Jasper! Will have a look.
    a big advantage is that Gavin (who owns the outlet) is himself a very keen trout fly fisherman .... I have been trying to talk him into joining FlyTalk.

.... Apart from Hot Orange and Brass in varous sizes, I also ordered some luminous tungsten beads, which I am looking forward to experimenting with at Millstream in three days time!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Here are a couple of pics I took today of the CDC Nymph underwater. The first two pics show trapped air bubbles when the nymph is dropped into water. The size of the air bubbles that the CDC manages to trap is larger then I would have expected. A lot of emerger patterns make use of materials to trap air bubbles as these bubbles give off shine and imitate emerging nymphs - deep sparkle pupa etc. What I find interesting is that my untidly tied pattern (see last pic of step by step) showing trapped CDC barbules probably helps to trap more air bubbles and make the pattern more effective ? Well thats my excuse

The third pic shows the profile of the fly once it has been wet. Again this shape is a good imitation of an emerging nymph with it's legs and wings folded back. Leisenring lifts (or a bit of drag if you cast like me) work well with this pattern.

Tying the pattern with a thin silver wire ribbing improves the durability, helps it sink and adds a bit of segmentation.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Nice pics.Never knew the bubble could be that apparant.

Do u guys think having flash(bubble) on the wingcase vs thorax/belly will make a difference?

G

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Nice pics.Never knew the bubble could be that apparant.

Do u guys think having flash(bubble) on the wingcase vs thorax/belly will make a difference?

G
    Hi Gerrit,

I don't think it will matter where the flash is located as the fly will be moving. In this case, the bubble just happened to be trapped underneath.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Gerrit,

I don't think it will matter where the flash is located as the fly will be moving. In this case, the bubble just happened to be trapped underneath.

Regards,
    Darryl
    Thanks Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    The third pic shows the profile of the fly once it has been wet. Again this shape is a good imitation of an emerging nymph with it's legs and wings folded back. Leisenring lifts (or a bit of drag if you cast like me) work well with this pattern.

Hi Darryl

Just remember the fly will never look like this IN the water. Look at the above two pics, that's what it looks like in the water. It's the same with saltwater baitfish patterns (and Scythe mentioned it in another thread somewhere too)...your fly will look almost identical when dry above the water, as it would when wet IN the water.
    The fibres stick together when removed from the water, but that's not what in looks like below the surface.

It's a kick-ass pattern though, the trapped bubble is awesome.

Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi Darryl

Just remember the fly will never look like this IN the water. Look at the above two pics, that's what it looks like in the water. It's the same with saltwater baitfish patterns (and Scythe mentioned it in another thread somewhere too)...your fly will look almost identical when dry above the water, as it would when wet IN the water.
    The fibres stick together when removed from the water, but that's not what in looks like below the surface.

It's a kick-ass pattern though, the trapped bubble is awesome.

Regards
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my previous post; I agree that dead-drifted the fly will look like the first two pics. If however you retrieve the fly or use a Leisenring lift, the fly will have the profile as in the third pic. CDC is a much softer material then bucktail or other synthetics used in streamer patterns and will easily fold back when the fly is given movement. If you don't believe me tie one and test it in your sink or bath at home.

Regards,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

D, great sequence AGAIN!

Question though, I know that the fly is a fish taker (mumble mumble ), but how durable is it without a ribbing of some sorts?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Question though, I know that the fly is a fish taker (mumble mumble )
    Ha ha ha, just tie it with lead instead of using a bead if you want it more imitative

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    , but how durable is it without a ribbing of some sorts?
    Read the last sentence after the pics - I rib with cotton and silver wire.

Rgds,
    D

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast