Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: CDC Nymph - Step by Step

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Read the last sentence after the pics - I rib with cotton and silver wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hook: Grip 12003 #14 or equivalent
    Bead: 2mm Fluoro Orange Tungsten
    Thread: Gordon Griffiths Sheer Thread (Colour to match body)
    Tail, abdomen & thorax: CDC Feather (Colour of choice)
    Thanks, did not note it in the material list, my bad.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi Pierre

I get mine from overseas, J.S. Flyfishing. http://www.jsflyfishing.com/
    They are quick to deliver, reliable, and I have never had anything go missing (touch wood). The guys' name is James...he deals with a bunch of guys in South Africa, so he knows the drill.

Or check out the direct link: http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/category/73000
    Just scroll through the pages, there is a hell of a lot of feathers there, the CDC is on some of the pages.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike, I tried to order some CDC from James and he said:

"The cul de canard feathers cannot be shipped to South Africa due to regulatory requirements. In general, natural materials require very expensive documentation that makes retail sales uneconomical. I'm sorry we can't send these to you and need to cancel these items."
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Out of interest, this fly has bagged a couple of trout in my last two trips to lakies. For Lakies it is best tied in Brown, Olive, or Natural grey, without a bead, in sizes 10-14.

It's a standard in my stillwater box now.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Nice one Darryl. Your version is much easier (yay!) than the one I do - where I use Fuzzy Bug Yarn for the body, and palmer the CDC forward (and have to strip half the CDC feather for the palmering - and I just *hate* doing that...seems such a waste of a feather, although I keep the loose fibres for dubbing material...).

The benefit of using the Fuzzy Bug Yarn is that you can twine 2 colours together for a more natural look - the black and dark green are really cool together and I recently made some with black and the "bug brown".

On the #14, I use a 2.5mm fluo-orange tungsten bead, and have been asked to make up some with 2 beads for extra weight. It also looks quite nice if the front bead is a gold and the 2nd bead (more to the middle of the shank) is the fluo-orange - kinda looks like a egg batch).

Looking to get some of those 3D beads - the "eyes" on the front bead will look soooooper cool!

Cheers,

Jan.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4