Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RAB - Step by Step

The scarlet nether-ended prodigy of dubious heritage!
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    A RAB is a good cranefly and Cape Dobsonfly imitation. A couple of years ago I was fishing the Holsloot when some dobsonflies started hatching. They looked exactly like a RAB as they fluttered weakly across the water. Besides that, it's a big juicy fly that fish will often move a large distance to eat.
    Now I learnt something, did a quick search on Google for cranefly and you can (with a little imagination) see a definite imitation!

thank you Darryl A really nice fly by the way!
    Rob
    Last edited by Babyson; 18-04-08 at 11:00 PM.

I have a few issues with the RAB. admitedly, I hardly ever fish it, so I am opening myself up to a right slagging (what's new)
    Sure it is supposed to be an awesome fly, and thats the problem. I get the impression that it's one of those WTF flies, where in certain conditions it simply is deadly, but only in certain conditions. It's something like "help I can't match the hatch, so let's try a RAB" bang! fish on "Wow, I've cracked the code, what an awesomew angler am I"
    How many people ever knew that it is supposed to imitate the crane fly? I certainly didn't. I still thing it's cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    How many people ever knew that it is supposed to imitate the crane fly? I certainly didn't. I still thing it's cheating.
    Have you ever seen a dobsonfly (sp?), I would be willing to hazard a guess (seeing there are no absolutes in fishing ) that trout either take a RAB for a dobsonfly imitation, or just take it opportunistically. Although I think a dobsonfly could be part of the cranefly family suborder Nematocera?

Anyone?
    Last edited by nkula_nkula; 19-04-08 at 12:32 PM.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

The RAB is a broad spectrum imitator, ranging from craneflies through to mayflies and many other diptera, but it is also an attractor pattern!

I have not tied my own flies yet but this presentation sure makes me want to try it! Looks great!
    Dry lines don't catch fish!

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Here is a quick and dirty step by step for a Poodle RAB.
    Hi darryl

Why is it called a poodle rab?

Thanks Liam
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Try "red arsed bastard"
    Or "Rough and Bouyant"?

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Hi darryl

Thanks Liam
    Because it's tied so big that it won't fit in a fly box - you typically attach a leash to it and walk it next to you until you need it
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Hi darryl

Thanks Liam
    Because it was tied by a b1tch...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast