Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bass Hooks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    1,533

    Default Bass Hooks

    Browsing the internet for fly patterns, it seemed that the americans like use bass hooks quite often to tie some of their salt water patterns. So I spent some time this afternoon going through all the bass hooks at Mias in Woodmead. Now I have zip knowledge on bass fishing etc. but these guys have some seriously strange looking hooks. And plenty of them! I'd come across a very slender pattern of a sprat that was tied onto a bass hook and this pattern just screamed: SHAD!! I had to tie me some of these! So heres a pic of my first attempt, I'm not sure of bassing terminology but I think the hook is called a "downer"? Help Jocko! I gave it a test strip through the pool and it swum very well. Obvious advantage if you look at the shape of the hook, is that it swims inverted and of course the hook is as sharp as a needle. Trust me this is not an offshore/metre long kingfish type of hook, just not enough backbone, but I reckon ther must be spans of tying possibilities with these hooks. I'll be taking a handful with me to the Transkei in July so unless someone can fish one before me, you guys will have to wait for a report!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,126

    Default

    geez that looks good rory. those eyes give it a stunning "alive" look. besides the obvious which you would know... they probably ar'nt stainless but then the fly is'nt costing you an arm and a leg to tie, so a couple for the trip looks stunning. also they are normally light wire but you're not going out to target a massive leerie. good luck, i'd use that.
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

    my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Browsing the internet for fly patterns, it seemed that the americans like use bass hooks quite often to tie some of their salt water patterns. So I spent some time this afternoon going through all the bass hooks at Mias in Woodmead. Now I have zip knowledge on bass fishing etc. but these guys have some seriously strange looking hooks. And plenty of them! I'd come across a very slender pattern of a sprat that was tied onto a bass hook and this pattern just screamed: SHAD!! I had to tie me some of these! So heres a pic of my first attempt, I'm not sure of bassing terminology but I think the hook is called a "downer"? Help Jocko! I gave it a test strip through the pool and it swum very well. Obvious advantage if you look at the shape of the hook, is that it swims inverted and of course the hook is as sharp as a needle. Trust me this is not an offshore/metre long kingfish type of hook, just not enough backbone, but I reckon ther must be spans of tying possibilities with these hooks. I'll be taking a handful with me to the Transkei in July so unless someone can fish one before me, you guys will have to wait for a report!

    Rory

    Nice fly...

    Funnily enough I saw the same article and have also tied some HPU (hook point up) patterns - http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10347.htm
    The only problem with bucktail is that shad/elf rip it to shreds in no time.... Maybe substitute synthetics for bucktail, will make it more durable.

    My 2c
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vandia Grove, Gauteng
    Posts
    4,056

    Default

    Aaah, NOW I know what you were talking about yesterday, Rory...keel hooks...yes, good fly and as Nkula says, as you know, for shad synthetic stuff's probably the go for the fly to last longer than one fish's worth
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

    Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Rory

    Nice fly...

    Funnily enough I saw the same article and have also tied some HPU (hook point up) patterns - http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10347.htm
    The only problem with bucktail is that shad/elf rip it to shreds in no time.... Maybe substitute synthetics for bucktail, will make it more durable.

    My 2c
    Thanks Liam, and thanks for that link! Now theres a bit of inspiration for some tying. Point taken re bucktail/synthetics, shad aren't called "razors" for nothing!!
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Wow, nice fly Rory! Thats a brilliant idea, I'm sure I have some of those hooks lying around somewhere, got something to keep me busy this weekend , Thanx
    Rob

  7. Default

    This is what an elf does to bucktail......



    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    cape town
    Posts
    795

    Default

    He He He. I bet that elf was thinking," weeeeeeelllll, I am hooked so I am pretty much stuffed now...so let me just chew the sweet holy crap outa this hell forsaken fly that this dude on the boat paid 15 bucks for or took 10 minutes to tie...that'll learn him Seriously though...thats a nice elf dude. What color was the fly before the elf decided to exact revenge?
    Thatís the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnít good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

    http://pipersystem.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North of the boerewors curtain
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Rory I'm not sure what downer hooks are - were they not maybe "owner" hooks? Havent browsed new bass hooks for ages as I only really ever buy the G-Lock Gamakatsu's. You definitely wont be able to use them offshore with too much success but you can put a decent amount of pressure on them. Remember a lot of bass jocks are fishing with 50lb braid these days...

    Nice fly by the way!
    Check your knots!

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    He He He. I bet that elf was thinking," weeeeeeelllll, I am hooked so I am pretty much stuffed now...so let me just chew the sweet holy crap outa this hell forsaken fly that this dude on the boat paid 15 bucks for or took 10 minutes to tie...that'll learn him Seriously though...thats a nice elf dude. What color was the fly before the elf decided to exact revenge?
    Is a white pattern, just all the cactus chenille is gone and most of the bucktail......
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •