Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bells Festival 2006 ?

Default Bells Festival 2006 ?

The recent Bell's festival at Lilydale (27-29th October) disproved all theories on flies, methods and behaviour with only 11 fish landed during the 2 day event by 24 anglers. Very tough going indeed!
    Found this on a WebSite ... can anyone who was there comment on the event and the fishing ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Found this on a WebSite ... can anyone who was there comment on the event and the fishing ?
    I'm the webmaster - very tough going due to murky waters. Krugersdrift dam near Bloemfontein was overflowing and all the muddy waters from the Modder river flowed into the Riet river where Lilydale is situated.
    Hopefully we'll get a good report in the February issue of Flyfishing Magazine, as Sheena Carnie (Editor) was there and apart from being caught in the ear by a wooly bugger, did actually land a fish!
    Sheena's editorial comment in this month's issue:
    FROM THE EDITOR — Sheena Carnie
    I RECENTLY caught my first yellowfish — a proud moment indeed, and far too long in the coming. As I’d been warned, it was much harder work than catching trout, made even more challenging by less-than-ideal fishing conditions, as the Northern Cape’s Riet River which we were fishing was closer to chocolate milkshake than the vodka-like waters we’d been hoping for. Needless to say, though, I’m now hooked and will be back before long too long to try my luck again.

The occasion was the 2006 Bell’s Lilydale Yellowfish Festival, organised by the Northern Cape Yellowfish Working Group, an independent body of flyfishers based in the Northern Cape and North West Province, concerned particularly with our indigenous fish and the quality of the waters they inhabit. Look out for the full article in the February/March 2007 issue of FLYFISHING.
    At the previous Lilydale festival 2 years ago, over 300 fish were caught by 25 anglers during the 2 day event.
    Another short report on the event...
    I passed over the Riet river today on my way to Hopetown and must say that the waters have cleared up considerably. Planning a trip to the neighbouring farm (Driekop) this coming weekend.
    Last edited by NCBass; 05-12-06 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Add Sheena's comment
    Save our Yellows!

Nice. I was thinking I should give LilyDale a spin this December.

Any other venues in the area you can recommend ?

My needs are basic : peace, quiet, few other folks, a secluded braai and a river RIGHT ON MY DOORSTEP !

Unfortunately Lilydale Lodge accommodation will be closed between Christmas & New year, but the river is still open!
    A few other venues on the Vaal as well - Nkolo Spa at Christiana (highly recommended) has good accommodation (chalets & caravan park) and regularly produces monster Yellows, Die Wilgers on the Riet river (a few km's upstream from Lilydale) is a nice caravan park and within hiking distance to some good fly waters, then a few bush trips (no facilities) all over the area.
    Gimme a shout when in Kimberley - I'm on leave from 15th Dec until after new year, but will be going after the Bass in Taung dam the weekend of 16th Dec.
    Save our Yellows!

Quote Originally Posted by NCBass View Post
    Unfortunately Lilydale Lodge accommodation will be closed between Christmas & New year, but the river is still open!
    A few other venues on the Vaal as well - Nkolo Spa at Christiana (highly recommended) has good accommodation (chalets & caravan park) and regularly produces monster Yellows, Die Wilgers on the Riet river (a few km's upstream from Lilydale) is a nice caravan park and within hiking distance to some good fly waters, then a few bush trips (no facilities) all over the area.
    Gimme a shout when in Kimberley - I'm on leave from 15th Dec until after new year, but will be going after the Bass in Taung dam the weekend of 16th Dec.
    Hi NC, Taung dam? I've heard mention of this dam before. Can you confirm whether or not this dam is situated about 20k's NW of Christiana? I've tried to GE the dam but Google Eaarth does not seem to recognise it.
    Interesting that you are targeting bass as I've seen photo's of monster LM yellows, reportedly caught in the Taung dam.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Herman, monster or not ... ANY situation where you get to sightfish to LM thrashing about in the shallow sections of the dam underneath overhangs is something I'd be interrested in

Friends of mine went there last year, they ONLY caught LM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Herman, monster or not ... ANY situation where you get to sightfish to LM thrashing about in the shallow sections of the dam underneath overhangs is something I'd be interrested in

Friends of mine went there last year, they ONLY caught LM.
    Sounds as if it is the same dam then. Reports are that the water is as clear, if not clearer than Sterkies. Is it true that the fishing is controlled by the Kimberly Club?

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Sounds as if it is the same dam then. Reports are that the water is as clear, if not clearer than Sterkies. Is it true that the fishing is controlled by the Kimberly Club?
    sounds like an interesting place, do tell us more...

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    sounds like an interesting place, do tell us more...
    All my information is heresay, hopefully NC Bass can enlighten us a bit more?

I'll find out from James and Stephen (my two mates that went there) but I do know it is in NEC or someplace and readily accessible.

Their pics of the LM feeding and chasing each other around in gin clear water were amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast