Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: dubbing techniques

Default dubbing techniques

Hi chaps

I need some help with a dubbing technique that I can't get right. I'm trying to dub an extended tail section on a wiggle damsel. I've tied in three stripped hackles to form the extension but dubbing around them is a total nightmare. The dubbing noodle keeps slipping off/over the feathers.

I've tried turing the hook around in the vice (all possible angles), holding the tail and letting the bobbin and dubbing noodle hang free and then rotate the vice (too little control).

Short of having three hands how does one get this right - would a dubbing loop be better?

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Default alternative method

Hi Byron

By attempting to dub your EB damselfly body, you are setting yourself up for disaster.......

I recently found a recipe on Hans van Klinken's website to tie the pattern in the best way I have seen so far. Here is the URL: http://www.ffinternet.com/html/flyty...re_damsels.htm

Here is my first attempt.....

From above....

I am still not convinced if the pattern will outperform more simpler to tie and robust patterns like the all-rounder damsel and red-eye damsel.

They sure do look good!!!!

Regards
    Liam
    Last edited by nkula_nkula; 19-04-08 at 04:16 PM.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Very nice technique that, thanx nkula_nkula! Much easier than trying to dub the stripped hackle stems as Byron explained & has a nice look to it too

Byron, I had the same issue when I tried it earlier this year. I eventually got it by using copper wire as ribbing which gave it more stability & held the dubbing in place without it slipping off, only downside is that it drastically reduces its movement which is kinda the point with the wiggle damsel. I posted a pic to show what I mean but there must be an easier way. Maybe the other more experienced guys can offer a better solution.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Babyson View Post
    Very nice technique that, thanx nkula_nkula! Much easier than trying to dub the stripped hackle stems as Byron explained & has a nice look to it too

Byron, I had the same issue when I tried it earlier this year. I eventually got it by using copper wire as ribbing which gave it more stability & held the dubbing in place without it slipping off, only downside is that it drastically reduces its movement which is kinda the point with the wiggle damsel. I posted a pic to show what I mean but there must be an easier way. Maybe the other more experienced guys can offer a better solution.

Rob
    Rob, if you look at the technique that I use for tying the tail as per the website. It is very soft as it consists of plaited marabou and a single strand of tying thread.

You get lots of inherent movement! Exactly what you are looking for......
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Hi chaps

I need some help with a dubbing technique that I can't get right. I'm trying to dub an extended tail section on a wiggle damsel. I've tied in three stripped hackles to form the extension but dubbing around them is a total nightmare. The dubbing noodle keeps slipping off/over the feathers.

I've tried turing the hook around in the vice (all possible angles), holding the tail and letting the bobbin and dubbing noodle hang free and then rotate the vice (too little control).

Short of having three hands how does one get this right - would a dubbing loop be better?

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Byron,

The ff handbook, D. Riphagen and may I add, FOREWORD by TOMSUTCLIFFE. Page 42 And if may say so, just tie his filoplume. Page 37.

Dave
    Last edited by poppernel; 19-04-08 at 05:01 PM.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

There is a MUCH easier way! Do it the same way you would do an extended body Mayfly. Put a needle in the vice, lay a bed of thread, tie in your hackle tips and do another layer of thread towards the vice. Dub towards the point of the needle and then wind back over the dubbing (with spaces, making segments and strengthening it at the same time. Your bobbin should be near the vice now. Tie off. Thats your Extended body! Now slide it off and attach it to you hook and continue tying instructions.
    Hope that makes sense?!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Default Wiggle damsel

You must check my wiggle San Juan. Wiggles are always welcome.

Serious.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Rob, if you look at the technique that I use for tying the tail as per the website. It is very soft as it consists of plaited marabou and a single strand of tying thread.

You get lots of inherent movement! Exactly what you are looking for......
    I had a look & have been playing around with it a bit and it works a charm! Great technique & as you said it has plenty movement, thanx man

Rob

Default Wiggle

Any fly nymph pattern can be changed into a wiggle pattern. Either the short tail section, or, on small patterns, from the thorax area. Relating to the damsel.

Dave

Or if you want a dubbed extended body.
    Make a loop

Spin

Put a bodkin in the middle of the rope and tie off the spinner end, take the bodkin out and let the rope furl together.

One detached dubbed body using a soft thread only so plenty of movement.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast